• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

building muscle to fit into clothes

aizan

Reaction score
the last time i weighed myself was years ago, but today i stepped on a scale and was upset to learn that my weight has gone down. i thought i was 125 lbs, but now i'm 115. i double checked the scale with rusty barbell weights (no kidding) and it checks out. i'm 5'8¾'', so that's way too low!

finding clothes small enough to fit me has been difficult, so i'm thinking about fitting my body to the clothes available instead of the other way around. these are my current measurements followed by target measurements (i'm unsure about two of them, but suffice it to say they need to increase):

neck: 14'' -> 14.5''
shoulder: 40'' -> 42''?
chest: 34'' -> 36''
waist: 28'' -> 30''
hips: 33'' -> 35''?

i'm unfamiliar with weight lifting or bodybuilding/sculpting, but these seem like modest goals. how long should something like this take, assuming i exercise 3 days a week? should i join a gym? all i have are some dumbbells and the aforementioned rusty barbells.

i guess the most important change in diet is to eat more protein. right now, that's mostly fish, eggs, and poultry. i eat pork about once a week, beef maybe once a month. will eating more of the same be enough, or should i eat more of one thing and less of another? i'm generally disinclined to take supplements and drink anything processed (e.g. protein shakes), though.

has anybody else done something like this? i'm hoping somebody can share their experiences and what they learned.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steroids.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
research "GOMAD" in google

Runningman411

Reaction score
Do you have a medical condition that has you at such a low weight? Please explain how you're only 115 lbs and perhaps we can point you in the right direction.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your age? What does your doctor have to say regarding your weight? 115lbs is scary thin at 5'9". I'm a little under 5'10" and I feel pretty thin at 158 lbs. Of course that's likely just because the average American is generally pretty fat.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are you only 115 lbs with those measurements at 5'9"? I had similar measurements at the same height when I weighed about 140 lbs. Maybe your limbs are bone-thin? How big are your thighs?

In any case, eat more food, any food, and lift weights, and you will grow quickly.

Kill_switch

Reaction score
rofl reminds me of this kid on sz who posted his measurements in a b/s thread "as reference", was 6'3 and 105 pounds.

gators241987

Reaction score
shoulders 40"? is that doubled around the widest point? lets see, you want to gain weight, and more than half the ppl in the world want to loose it. I suggest lifting every day, no cardio. eat high protein diet. Try to figure out a way to slow your metabolism down. Then in 3 years when you want to loose weight, come back.

aizan

Reaction score
i just turned 28. it's been several years since i've had a physical, but my doctor didn't say i had any medical conditions. he did say i should gain weight, though...i didn't think it was that important since my BMI was still ok. i thought my weight was the same all these years, and i don't look any different.

my limbs have always been skinny. i've got chicken legs and a turkey neck. thigh is 18'' at the widest point, bicep is 9.5''.

how much muscle mass can i reasonably expect to add per week? remember, muscle only. i don't need more fat, which i hear is pretty easy to do...

^ yeah, shoulders 40'' around.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Training for aesthetics is not a very enjoyable endeavor. I can't imagine going to the gym day after day trying to achieve the goal of fitting into a size 36 jacket... which is probably why most people with similar motivations don't stick to any kind of program.

Let form follow function. Pick an activity that requires some fitness, and train for that. It will keep you motivated. This could be, like, judo, olympic weightlifting, a race. There are even rowing competetitions held in gyms full of C2 rowers.

Weight training on its own can be pretty satisfying if you're progressively loading the bar each week. Don't think about working 'arms and chest' - think about increasing the weight on the major lifts. Your body will respond better, plus it's more enjoyable.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan

how much muscle mass can i reasonably expect to add per week? remember, muscle only. i don't need more fat, which i hear is pretty easy to do...

Man, you are 115 lbs @ 5'9," that is nothing short of emaciated.

You are not going to have success if you're worried about putting fat on. For every pound of muscle you put on, expect about a pound of fat. Luckily you need a lot more of both on your frame...

I think a guy in your situation would be able to put on 1-2lbs of muscle in a week, plus associated fat if you train hard. For a couple of months anyway. But you would need to eat a lot.

And I suspect you have some body-image issues you need to sort out before that can happen...

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is making me reconsider losing 20 lbs from 155 lbs (5'8).

aizan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Training for aesthetics is not a very enjoyable endeavor. I can't imagine going to the gym day after day trying to achieve the goal of fitting into a size 36 jacket... which is probably why most people with similar motivations don't stick to any kind of program.

Let form follow function. Pick an activity that requires some fitness, and train for that. It will keep you motivated. This could be, like, judo, olympic weightlifting, a race. There are even rowing competetitions held in gyms full of C2 rowers.

Weight training on its own can be pretty satisfying if you're progressively loading the bar each week. Don't think about working 'arms and chest' - think about increasing the weight on the major lifts. Your body will respond better, plus it's more enjoyable.

olympic weightlifting...that's certainly intense enough, but the others don't sound particularly high intensity. i'm not sure they would add much muscle mass, considering that i'm an ectomorph. they sound like fun, though.

and of course i have body-image issues. if anyone says something about my body, it's always that i'm really skinny, or that i can afford to eat all the candies, desserts, and ***** foods that they shouldn't be eating, which is annoying and preposterous because nobody can afford to eat as much junk food as they do. i don't look like a concentration camp survivor or anything. i'm just not muscular.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olympic lifting or if you cant get a coach, Squats and dead lifts.
Eat lots of food reguarly. Keep it good quality.

Ive been around people who complain they cant put on weight and the common factor is they never squat and they dont eat enough. you need to learn to embrace that 'so full i cant move' feeling.

aizan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
you need to learn to embrace that 'so full i cant move' feeling.

that might be a problem...i get acid reflux when i eat too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads