• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building muscle and suits.

alwaysin

Reaction score
I go to the gym to build muscle. I've never had a suit before (just dress shirts and dress pants).

Getting a bespoke suit is fine if you want to stay roughly the same weight for many years, but what if you want to gain weight?

If you like slim fit suits, then how many pounds of muscle/fat would need to be gained in order to need a new, proper fitting, bespoke suit?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean.

A dirty bulk and you'll get chubby or worse fairly quickly.

A slow clean bulk and you'll get leaner. You might actually get smaller over all since fat is bulkier then muscle.

In the end you'll need fat and skinny clothes. Fat clothes for when you bulk.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently trading a suit for another one here because I've been bulking up and my chest/shoulders have grown and the suit coat is not big enough nor long enough. Frustrating but I feel better about myself
thumbs-up.gif

This suit was already very very tight though so I'm not too worried that I will have to get a whole new wardrobe.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not easy. you really want to be stable before you spend good money on suits. a small change will require new clothes

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I've seen guys who need a new suit ever 12-16 weeks.

In my experience its not really worth the cost of bespoke if you intend to fluctuate. The exception to this is if you have a "summer weight" and "winter weight" but stay relativity stable within those periods.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Indeed. I've seen guys who need a new suit ever 12-16 weeks.

In my experience its not really worth the cost of bespoke if you intend to fluctuate. The exception to this is if you have a "summer weight" and "winter weight" but stay relativity stable within those periods.

Interesting point. We are of course assuming that one would bulk in the winter and cut for the summer?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people want to be in shape for the summer so you start cutting before.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Most people want to be in shape for the summer so you start cutting before.

That's what i meant.
smile.gif

SouthPhillyMan

Reaction score
i once gained 40 lbs in 3 months using creatine and doing max weight lifts.......so be careful

stillerfan07

Reaction score
I have definitely noticed that too.

Originally Posted by Nicola
A slow clean bulk and you'll get leaner. You might actually get smaller over all since fat is bulkier then muscle.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually keep three sets of clothes of different sizes. One size for bulking, one size for coming down, and one size for leaner times. I usually purchase suit jackets in 44L, 46L, and 48L sticking around there. Pants, from 36 waist, 38 waist, and 40 waist. I get round the shirt problem by getting a collar size of 18 and purchasing slim and regular fits depending on my training.

I make sure I dont bulk too much though, or get too lean. I am not a power lifter, but like to go through bouts of increasing strength. My aim is to get to a 400LB bench press weighing in at a lean 230LB's, and doing it without Roids as well.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
I usually keep three sets of clothes of different sizes. One size for bulking, one size for coming down, and one size for leaner times. I usually purchase suit jackets in 44L, 46L, and 48L sticking around there. Pants, from 36 waist, 38 waist, and 40 waist. I make sure I dont bulk too much though, or get too lean. I am not a power lifter, but like to go through bouts of increasing strength. My aim is to get to a 400LB bench press weighing in at a lean 230LB's, and doing it without Roids as well.

That would be quite impressive. I was able to bench 405 at one point in my life, but then again I was 240 lbs.

Doesn't it get expensive having so many sets of clothes?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
That would be quite impressive. I was able to bench 405 at one point in my life, but then again I was 240 lbs.

Very good performance - you must have good genetics! The max I managed was 450, but I was a lunking 290LB's to do it. I am 6ft 4ins, so if I were 230, I would not be too far from being emaciated. I am doubtful I will lift nearly double my body weight, but I will try. It is just a little fun for me, I like to have little physical goals such as pulling a 150LB longbow cleanly with good form.

Originally Posted by Achilles_
Doesn't it get expensive having so many sets of clothes?

I try to avoid spending big on my bigger sizes. I do not usually intend to stay bulky longer than 4 - 6 months.

I do prefer to be lean over bulky, so all my more expensive pieces of clothing accounts for my size when I am in and around 235LB's.

My bulk clothes are much cheaper items, i.e. lots of generic department store brands costing under $50 for shirts, and costing under $300 for blazers or suit jackets.

My leaner items which is the way I stay for longest periods - now Im real fussy about what I buy and usually spend a significant amount of money on certain well tailored pieces I simply cant live without.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
As others have said, there is no number. You will gain and lose size and shape in different places. If you are thinking about going bespoke I would definitely pick one or the other, because putting on muscle or losing fat defeats the purpose of a perfect fitting bespoke suit, because it will not fit perfect.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Very good performance - you must have good genetics! The max I managed was 450, but I was a lunking 290LB's to do it. I am 6ft 4ins, so if I were 230, I would not be too far from being emaciated. I am doubtful I will lift nearly double my body weight, but I will try. It is just a little fun for me, I like to have little physical goals such as pulling a 150LB longbow cleanly with good form.

I try to avoid spending big on my bigger sizes. I do not usually intend to stay bulky longer than 4 - 6 months.

I do prefer to be lean over bulky, so all my more expensive pieces of clothing accounts for my size when I am in and around 235LB's.

My bulk clothes are much cheaper items, i.e. lots of generic department store brands costing under $50 for shirts, and costing under $300 for blazers or suit jackets.

My leaner items which is the way I stay for longest periods - now Im real fussy about what I buy and usually spend a significant amount of money on certain well tailored pieces I simply cant live without.

Sounds like a good system.

A 150lb pull weight sound intense! I'll stick with my 80lb compound matthews
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads