• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a wardrobe please help

r0b0t

Reaction score
Hi
I just graduated from university, Ive always been busy with school + job, so i havent really bought any new clothes since high school. Basically all i have are t shirts from wal-mart, some no name baggy jeans, and some crappy sweaters. The sweaters are pretty much the typical ugly christmas sweater you get as a present. Yes i wear them.

Everything i own is either a hand me down or a gift, i can count the number of times i went to the store to buy myself clothes. I have literally no fashion sense. The only thing i have that is actually worth more than $5 is a a brown leather jacket

my stats..
-early 20s
-5ft5, medium-large frame (although i have gained some weight during school)
-asian
-medium-long straight black hair (similar to the hair of main character from ninja assassin, except a little shorter)

I need to build a wardrobe that fits my stats, everything from casual/street/formal clothing

i care more about the look/material/build quality of a piece, than the logo
i hate paying a premium for a certain brand, especially when the quality has almost nothing to do with the price.

Help me out guys

r0b0t

Reaction score
Ive already read that guide before
i was looking for more specific advice i.e. colours/patterns etc. that would compliment my physical charateristics

in other words, from your experience what would look best on someone like me? do's and don'ts stuff like that

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ive already read that guide before

i was looking for more specific advice i.e. colours/patterns etc. that would compliment my physical  charateristics

in other words, from your experience what would look best on someone like me? do's and don'ts stuff like that

When it comes to business wardrobe the choices of colors are determined by conventions. For suits the classical business colors are navy blue and shades of grey. For ***** they are white, light to medium blue and in less strict environments pale pink. If you stick with these colors you have very little restrictions when it comes to ties ... it is hard to say which tie colors match your complexion (unfortunately I am not acquainted with the Ninja Assassin).

Since you are 5'5 you are not exactly a giant. Hence you should shy away from clothes, which make you look shorter than you are such as 3-button jackets. Pinstripe suits have an elongating effect - so they might be a good option for you.

In the end there is only so much you can learn from reading forums, at some point you need to go to a decent men"s store and try clothes. If you are unsure about the fit you should not buy immediately and rather take pics and post them here.

r0b0t

Reaction score
how do you guys feel about vests?
or other colours for a shirt like red, brown, purple etc.?

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

or other colours for a shirt like  red, brown, purple etc.?

Vests / waistcoats with a suit are nice, but not necessarily a basic.

The shirt colors you mentioned are certainly not basics and for business I would at most go for a pale lilac.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

or other colours for a shirt like  red, brown, purple etc.?

Vests can be nice if you don't tend to overheat (I am more tolerant of cold and hence avoid them generally), but nobody is going to expect you to wear a 3 piece suit everyday (or ever) as a young man. I'd rather save the money I'd spend on vests and spend it acquiring more shirts, trousers, etc. A general rule with shirts is that your shirt should not be darker than your tie. So red, brown and purple dress shirts are out. Stick to white, light blue and perhaps light pink and lilac. Subtle patterns are better than loud ones for your basic clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads