• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a wardrobe - need help/ advice

zane2453

Reaction score
I posted on MFA, but I didn't really get any help so hopefully you guys can.
--
Currently a senior in high school, and I've pretty much realized that I've been dressing like **** (graphic tees w/ jeans). So lately I've been looking around to start to get a grasp on things. I want to start buying quality clothes that aren't juvenile (I don't however want to dress like way older than I am, I don't need anything too formal either). Could you guys give me some rec's and tips in general?

My current situation: lots of graphic tees, a pair of jeans that don't really fit me well, a few pairs of khaki's (my school uniform), two pairs of joggers (gray, dark gray), two solid colored thin urban pipeline hoodies (gray, purple-ish), two solid colored knit sweaters (black, white), one black sherpa hoodie (http://i.imgur.com/npOaCPM.jpg), and finally a pair of grey vans (http://i.imgur.com/in7NKOV.jpg). I'm 6'0, pretty skinny (130ish), dark red hair.

What I don't like/ my tastes (AKA don't recommend me these sorts of things unless you post why you did so): I'm in high school, and I don't really have any reason to wear anything too formal. Flannels are a no, button-up's are not my favorite either. Don't want anything too "clunky". I really like the popular fall/ winter styles.

Since you kind of get the jist of what I'm looking for, I'll go through a few specific things regarding different clothing items I'm looking for (feedback wanted). I'm on a pretty tight budget
-Shoes: I pretty much have three different styles that I'd like to focus on, and I'd like to have a pair of shoes for each of those. First, my school requires a uniform (Khaki's and solid colored polo), so I'd want a pair of shoes that'd look good with khaki's and match the formality of them. I'd wear those shoes everyday for school. Second, I'd like a nice pair of shoes that'd look good with the jeans that I plan on getting and that would match well with many different things. Lastly, I really like joggers and would like to have something nice to wear with those. Some different shoes I've been looking at are: http://i.imgur.com/yB2bNHp.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/X2a8BcL.jpg,http://i.imgur.com/f3VD8lo.jpg. Remember that I already have a gray pair of vans

-Jeans: Planning on getting 3 pairs of Levi 511's (black, tan, and white)
-Shirts: Will probably get a few solid-colored tees (white, black, etc)
-Sweaters: I'm a huge sweater/ knit guy, but I already have around 4 of those so I should be good here
-Joggers: Have a pair of white/ dark grey, don't think I need more.
-Outerwear/ Jackets: I only have a ****** Zoo York hoodie, and I'm looking for one jacket/ coat of some kind that would match with most of the different things I'd wear. This is an area that I don't really know what to look for or what to get.
-Sunglasses: Yeah I drive alot so I need a pair.

Anything I'm missing? Any recommendations or advice? I'd really like some help, and hopefully be able to buy some things these next few days (black friday)

zane2453

Reaction score
Since this weekend is black friday/ cyber monday.. I'd like to make some purchases asap.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
standard recommendation: look at what people are wearing in the "what are you wearing today" thread. Sounds like you are have a typical high school style (flannels too formal..). Wear jeans and a sweatshirt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads