• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a "Modern Farm House"...

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering the purchase of a 15 acre property in my hometown but paying what they're asking to basically tear the house down isn't something I want to do.

Much to my surprise I learned that the couple who owns a comparable plot of land across the lake are getting a divorce and they need to sell.

Now...I'm planning to build a farm house with a guest house and probably a few other buildings all connected by gardens and water features. Something that is more refined than rustic.

If you can please recommend a number architects that are doing this kind of building I would be most appreciative. I'm in the Southeast US.

Thanks!

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Some more info would help. I can tell you that there are numerous high profile firms/architects that drool over rural modernized barns and would accept the commission in a heartbeat, but they'll take their time and take their money. Gable construction is very simple so you could build the barn itself with very little professional design work, but if you really want to make it something special, it can be if you're willing to sacrifice some extra money and time.

Inspirations?
Budget?
Materiality?

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Some more info would help. Inspirations? Budget? Materiality?
Inspirations? This project isn't really inspired by any others per se...just know I want a big farm house that will age well over time. Both in style and quality of materials used. It will be a gathering place for a large extended family. Budget? Realistically probably 3-4MM Stone, wood, metal...? I'm not fixed on anything at this point. I have a concept in mind but I'm very flexible on the particulars at this point and I'm willing to let someone run with their ideas a bit.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Well, you can build an airplane hangar for $3 mm so that's no issue. Here's a bunch of modern barns. Do any of these appeal to you? There is a broad spectrum between refined and rustic. Which end of the scale are you interested in more?
modern-barn-conversion-house-modern-design-ideas1-500x333.jpg
modern-living-space-barn-house-interior-design5-500x333.jpg
2473473830_9e972a0a8d.jpg
Modern_NY_barn5.jpg
6.jpg
Modern-barn-house-Sea-Ranch-Residence-by-Turnbull-Griffin-Haesloop-800x533.jpg
Barn%202.jpg
http://www.google.com/url?source=img...4gnJYGSXxcF_Mw
Modern-Barn-House-Design.jpg
kitchen-Living-Multi-Function.jpg
Cool-Barn-House-by-CCS-Architecture-San-Francisco-588x588.jpg
eccentricity-composition-barn-house-domesticity-design10.jpg
Facade-Design-of-Barn-House-Style.jpg
0210barn_image2.jpg
barn-style-house-japanese-architecture-firm-9.jpg
Contemporary-Barn-House-Design-l-Dining-Room.jpg
Contemporary-Barn-House-Design-l-Modern-House-541x319.jpg
Beautiful-Family-House-Furzey-Hall-Farm.jpg

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you can build an airplane hanger for $3 mm so that's no issue. Here's a bunch of modern barns. Do any of these appeal to you? There is a broad spectrum between refined and rustic. Which end of the scale are you interested in more?

modern-barn-conversion-house-modern-design-ideas1-500x333.jpg

modern-living-space-barn-house-interior-design5-500x333.jpg

2473473830_9e972a0a8d.jpg

Barn%202.jpg

Facade-Design-of-Barn-House-Style.jpg

0210barn_image2.jpg

barn-style-house-japanese-architecture-firm-9.jpg

Contemporary-Barn-House-Design-l-Dining-Room.jpg

Contemporary-Barn-House-Design-l-Modern-House-541x319.jpg

Beautiful-Family-House-Furzey-Hall-Farm.jpg

The ones I left above I like and numbers 2, 6, 8, and 10 standout.

What I tend to like is a building that looks as though someone took an old barn and then updated it and left just enough elements so it retained that character. Again...I might find over time that something much more rustic will work for me. Would rustic = less expensive?
biggrin.gif

The picture with the piano is interesting b/c one of the other buildings I have in mind is a piano rehearsal/performance space
smile.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Would rustic = less expensive?
biggrin.gif

It will likely be more expensive because it generally takes concrete, plaster, and metal out of the interior design, which are all faster/cheaper to construct. You'll end up paying more for high quality timber, which is especially expensive if you want gables made from solid timber. You can save money on the structure by using composite beams, cheaper varieties of wood, or a shorter interior span to reduce the gable size, but all of this stuff is well within your budget. You can talk to an architect about trying to salvage wood from other sources to make furniture or other details which could add a rustic feel. I'll see if I can some up with some architects.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will likely be more expensive because it generally takes concrete, plaster, and metal out of the interior design, which are all faster/cheaper to construct. You'll end up paying more for high quality timber, which is especially expensive if you want gables made from solid timber. You can save money on the structure by using composite beams, cheaper varieties of wood, or a shorter interior span to reduce the gable size, but all of this stuff is well within your budget. You can talk to an architect about trying to salvage wood from other sources to make furniture or other details which could add a rustic feel. I'll see if I can some up with some architects.
Excellent point. Thanks

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Also, don't forget that rustic often includes the purchase of some absurdly expensive antiques to fill the place. Not that midcentury pieces can't be pricey, obviously, but the older stuff gets to stratospheric proportions even for no-name pieces.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Also, don't forget that rustic often includes the purchase of some absurdly expensive antiques to fill the place. Not that midcentury pieces can't be pricey, obviously, but the older stuff gets to stratospheric proportions even for no-name pieces.
Before you build take a trip to Wisconsin, Missouri and Illinois and look at actual barns and farm houses. The pics of "barns" above are not what they really look like. As for turn of the century mid 1800's antiques are concerned get far far away from big cities. Depending on what you like it's worth the trip to that region and do a little back road exploring in the small shops you'll find everywhere. Good buys at realistic prices are easy to come by.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Before you build take a trip to Wisconsin, Missouri and Illinois and look at actual barns and farm houses. The pics of "barns" above are not what they really look like.

What does a modern barn really look like?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sent you a PM recommending two Louisiana firms. Both work throughout the United States ... particularly in the South. Best wishes on this project.

If you are leaning toward traditional (based on the previous photos you posted) ... one recommendation is Ken Tate. He is located just north of Lake Pontchartrain ... so is only 2+ hours away. Some of his work tends to be a little grand ... but he can also do understated well ... and his detailing is excellent.

http://www.kentatearchitect.com/about/biography.html

If money is easy ... and you are fond of architecture that is crisp, clean, and white ... call Hugh Newell Jacobsen.

http://www.hughjacobsen.com/

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does a modern barn really look like?
I'll take a pic of one under construction down the street later and post it.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I sent you a PM recommending two Louisiana firms. Both work throughout the United States ... particularly in the South. Best wishes on this project. If you are leaning toward traditional (based on the previous photos you posted) ... one recommendation is Ken Tate. He is located just north of Lake Pontchartrain ... so is only 2+ hours away. Some of his work tends to be a little grand ... but he can also do understated well ... and his detailing is excellent. http://www.kentatearchitect.com/about/biography.html If money is easy ... and you are fond of architecture that is crisp, clean, and white ... call Hugh Newell Jacobsen. http://www.hughjacobsen.com/
Very happy you posted about Ken Tate. He has been on my short list for some time.
smile.gif
I like some of Jacobsen's work. Perhaps it would be interesting to get their take on this project but something tells me they aren't right for me. Thanks for the PM I'll check it shortly!

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Before you build take a trip to Wisconsin, Missouri and Illinois and look at actual barns and farm houses. The pics of "barns" above are not what they really look like. As for turn of the century mid 1800's antiques are concerned get far far away from big cities. Depending on what you like it's worth the trip to that region and do a little back road exploring in the small shops you'll find everywhere. Good buys at realistic prices are easy to come by.
Thanks. I'm certain this project will require me to visit lots of little shops. I hadn't considered going to that region to look at barns and farm houses as we have quite a number of those here in the South but it might be something to consider

summej2

Reaction score
Peter Bohlin does this idiom really well: http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sa...ville-pa-19320

Steven Holl does it well too. I've lived in a Holl house for a few months and enjoyed it, but Bohlin is more livable.

BTW, if you like PA, that Bohlin house is a deal for what it is.

Of course, upstate NY is full of many interesting examples of this sort of architecture, as is western MA.

js

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads