• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a "Modern Farm House"...

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
We have a similar property. Do not skimp on the landscaping, the house can take you over and the setting not get enough money and time spent on it.
Absolutely. I would pull back on the house if it meant I couldn't fully realize the potential of the landscape

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
The house below is a movie set ... so could have been done better. But I rather like the design approach.

HouseSitter.jpg

You might find these interesting then...

http://www.jacksonmeadow.com/

Not a lot of great pictures and all together, the development looks a little David Koresh but the individual houses are all very interesting, inspired by 19th century scandinavian farm settlements in the upper midwest.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Jacks...w&ved=0CCUQsAQ

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You might find these interesting then...

http://www.jacksonmeadow.com/

Not a lot of great pictures and all together, the development looks a little David Koresh but the individual houses are all very interesting, inspired by 19th century scandinavian farm settlements in the upper midwest.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Jacks...w&ved=0CCUQsAQ

Thanks Cary ... and indeed much better done. I'm thinking of a cross between the two ... with a plan that is more dependent upon the centerpoint of the driveway circle.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
That is a neat little house. Didn't Bohlin do the Gates home?

Yes. His houses have gotten bigger, but he's still doing some similar work.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
There is a firm based in Texas that does work in the SE that I think would work for what you have described.

Lake|Flato

Ah, I forgot them. Ted Flato does what he calls "cracker modern." They are great homes, if a bit more conventional in how they are finished. Before we aborted our FL move, a Ted Flato house was topping our list.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Thanks Cary ... and indeed much better done. I'm thinking of a cross between the two ... with a plan that is more dependent upon the centerpoint of the driveway circle.

I get that. Jackson Meadow is built around communal front yards... all the driveways are very short and all the house face "backwards" so that the "neighborhood street" is the single sidewalk between the front porches of the house.

I've been through a couple of them- very open and light, but with your neighbors' homes so close, zero privacy. Now, give me one in the middle of 40 acres.
smile.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Modern-barn-house-Sea-Ranch-Residence-by-Turnbull-Griffin-Haesloop-800x533.jpg

Is that Sea Ranch?

Sure looks like it to me.

SGo964

Reaction score
Stephen Atkinson has done some nice rural work, that integrates very well with the surroundings. I had some preliminary discussions several years ago on building something, but we ended up finding a house that was already built.
I liked his Zachary house, in Zachary, LA

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGo964
Stephen Atkinson has done some nice rural work, that integrates very well with the surroundings. I had some preliminary discussions several years ago on building something, but we ended up finding a house that was already built.
I liked his Zachary house, in Zachary, LA

Very nice. Thanks
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads