• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

building a home gym

lee lin

Reaction score
i'm planning to get an eliptical with a small screen to watch tv on. dumbells that reach up to 100 that are easy to grip. Hopefully a brand which i don't have to use gloves but i haven't experienced any as of late. a few machines and benches.

need help with brands especially with the eliptical and the dumbells. the machines i only know nautilus so some help there too. but i'd like to narrow the machines down to 3-5 machines that would really be in use.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Power rack, barbell + weights and an adjustable bench would take care of a lot of stuff if space/cost is an issue.

Throw in a chin-up bar (or do them on the rack).

turboman808

Reaction score
Pretty much use a spin bike and heavy bag to stay in shape. No weights.

Using the gym for now. Should have a 3 bedroom apartment in 6 months then I can have a home setup.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
friend just got a great multi-station system that is plate loaded like a hammer strength machine. will send you the name once i ask him.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Repeat after me:

NO MACHINES, NO CABLES when it comes to weights.

Free weights are all you need. Get a set of dumbbells and the most important thing - barbell, set of weights, cage, bench. That's it.

And I would take a heavy bag over a hamster wheel (bike, elliptical) any day.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have a pretty good home gym setup, although she and her son prefer to train in a commercial gym.

She has a good quality ellipitical machine that I use more than she does these days.

She has some light (up to 20 pounds) solid dumbells that she uses for some exercises.

I have a 400-pound Olympic barbell set (with a really good, competition-quality bar), and 300 pounds of exercise plates for dumbbells, which is more than I need, especially these days.

I've got a bench and squat racks. I really can't think of much else I'd want/need.

I note somebody recommended a power rack. Since those require permanent installation, that might be an expensive hassle in a lot of houses and an impossibility if you are a renter.

I note that some stores won't sell squat racks these days on the theory they are somehow "dangerous." I have used them for many years while training alone without the slightest hint of a problem.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

I have a 400-pound Olympic barbell set (with a really good, competition-quality bar), and 300 pounds of exercise plates for dumbbells, which is more than I need, especially these days.

I've got a bench and squat racks. I really can't think of much else I'd want/need.

squat
dead
press

rinse, repeat.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if room and $ allows, a 2-sided cable station is a fantastic luxury.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a Kettler elliptical and bike at home and have been very pleased with both.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a:

Powertec Powerrack, powertec bench, 2x 300lb weight set/bars - 600 off craigslist
Powerblocks, 300 off craigslist
No more fat gut, priceless

Eagle

Reaction score
My home gym set-up includes a Hoist V-5 with a leg press station and a Nordic Trac Ultra-Lift unit and Power Blocks for resistance training; a Cybex Trotter Treadmill, LifeFitness X5 elliptical machine and a Nordic Trac Cross Country Ski unit for cardio training and a Life Fitness Tower for body weight exercises. Meets all my needs and provides sufficient flexibility for two to three people to work out at the same time, with minimum inconvenience.

Sigmeow

Reaction score
Get some bumper plates if you have the room.

Gotta do your cleans, boy!

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Repeat after me:

NO MACHINES, NO CABLES when it comes to weights.

Free weights are all you need. Get a set of dumbbells and the most important thing - barbell, set of weights, cage, bench. That's it.

+1. Do not get machines, it is a waste of money IMHO. Get a free weight, a rack and a adjustable bench.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rubber bands. Great for stretching and warmups/cooldowns and adding resistance to other exercises.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 281 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • 31 - 40