• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a DIY studio for Clothing Photography

mystillwater

Reaction score
I've been jealous of some of the awesome photographers out there taking great shot of their clothing and thought i'd see if i could figure out how to step up my game. i have a decent camera (Nikon D100) and some decent lenses. i've got plenty of room in the house and was thinking i might try build a DIY Photography Studio. I figure i'll need a few square feet that i can cordon off and use exclusively for the studio.

Anybody have any tips for building such a beast? i'd like it to be big enough for a dress form or a small table.

any info you've got or websites you can point me to would be clutch. thanks!

Strombollii

Reaction score
I don't really work any studio photography at all, so I have very very little setting up a studio. However, I came across this site a while back, and a lot of their suggestions are legitimate:
http://www.diyphotography.net/

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone here once posted a description of a mini home setup. You might search in either B&S or General.

If you find it let me know, I'm interested

K

mystillwater

Reaction score
alright... i decided to wing it. i found a few semi-useful articles via google search and am kind of blending a few of them together to make my creation.

i made a hardware store run and got a few lengths of pvc, some contractors lighting and some white sheets. i'm going to build a white diffusion tent and shine the lights in. it'll take a little trial and error with the bulbs but i think it'll be a good start.

i might need to cop a more specialized lens. maybe a wide angle. not sure. i like fixed lenses (i have a 50mm 1.8a) so i might go that route again.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taking SF too far?

mystillwater

Reaction score
says the guy with 9000 posts...

my answer... of course i am. whats wrong with that?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
says the guy with 9000 posts...

my answer... of course i am. whats wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it at all. Just might be taking it a bit too far. But if you want to do it, don't let an internet naysayer stop you.

mystillwater

Reaction score
glad that's settled. some guys will say anything to boost their post count.

i'm planning to put everything together on monday. i'll post pictures and details then. stay tuned.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Halogen worklights are no fun to work with, FYI.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word is you should pick up some daylight bulbs or at least tune your white balance settings to tungsten to get the right colours.

That, and I deffo recommend a tripod and using your timer or a remote shutter

K

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heat is ridiculous in a confined space and they'll burn the **** out of you if you touch the wrong spot.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fluorescent and LED worklights seem like a decent option (if you shoot RAW and adjust color balance), but it takes such a large bank of them to put out much light I'm not sure how they'd do for directional lighting. And they're far more expensive than halogen, of course.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
The heat is ridiculous in a confined space and they'll burn the **** out of you if you touch the wrong spot.

You mean the daylight bulbs? I'm a total moran at photography, but my understanding was that it was the best (economical / easiest) way to get constant white light.

K

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Halogen in general. Halogen puts out a ton of light with small, cheap bulbs, at the cost of being stupid hot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads