• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a casual/night out wardrobe for $1500 from scratch

Jl24

Reaction score
Hello, I recently started working and through college I just wore whatever was cheapest. All my clothes are either old or for the workplace, so I want to spend about $1500 to build an actual wardrobe from scratch. I'm 24, 6', 145 lbs. so I look slender even if I work out.

I would like to purchase staple items which I can mix and match within my wardrobe to maximize the # of different looks. From my office wardrobe, I have about 4 different dress shirts from Brooks Bros. and 3 different colored business casual slacks that I can use. Full cashmere is probably out of my budget range. Also, these clothes are meant for the remainder of winter, spring, summer ... all through the year until around Nov/Dec of 2007.

Here's what I'm thinking:
2 premium jeans = $300
AE Black Monk Strap Shoes = $300
2 Half-zip mockneck sweaters = $100
2 V-neck Silk/Cashmere sweaters = $100
Underwear/socks/belt/ = $100

I need at least one jacket - would a $300 leather jacket be versatile?
Should I get another pair of shoes, polo shirts, 2 jackets, or start building up buttoned t-shirts?
I could use a new pair of sneakers at $100 ... should I just skip it and wear my old ones?

My main questions concern:
1) What should I spend the rest of my money on, bearing in mind these are the clothes I will be wearing for a year?
2) How versatile is my wardrobe?

Your opinions/thoughts are welcome, thanks!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen black AE monkstraps for $169 recently at DSW Shoe Warehouse - not sure if there's one in your area, however.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jl24
Hello, I recently started working and through college I just wore whatever was cheapest. All my clothes are either old or for the workplace, so I want to spend about $1500 to build an actual wardrobe from scratch. I'm 24, 6', 145 lbs. so I look slender even if I work out.

I would like to purchase staple items which I can mix and match within my wardrobe to maximize the # of different looks. From my office wardrobe, I have about 4 different dress shirts from Brooks Bros. and 3 different colored business casual slacks that I can use. Full cashmere is probably out of my budget range. Also, these clothes are meant for the remainder of winter, spring, summer ... all through the year until around Nov/Dec of 2007.

Here's what I'm thinking:
2 premium jeans = $300
AE Black Monk Strap Shoes = $300
2 Half-zip mockneck sweaters = $100
2 V-neck Silk/Cashmere sweaters = $100
Underwear/socks/belt/ = $100

I need at least one jacket - would a $300 leather jacket be versatile?
Should I get another pair of shoes, polo shirts, 2 jackets, or start building up buttoned t-shirts?
I could use a new pair of sneakers at $100 ... should I just skip it and wear my old ones?

My main questions concern:
1) What should I spend the rest of my money on, bearing in mind these are the clothes I will be wearing for a year?
2) How versatile is my wardrobe?

Your opinions/thoughts are welcome, thanks!

Others will give you some more specific advice, but to throw it out there, alot of the guys in streetwear are picking up some absurdly good deals on stuff at Target. Velvet blazers and the like which would work for your "night out". There is also alot of talk there on nice denim, etc....

You can also stretch that 300 for the AEs into a few pairs of shoes via eBay, Zappos.com, etc... Personally, while I like monkstraps, I dont find them the first choice. They can be quite distinctive, so I would prefer to incorporate them into an already diverse rotation. (Ohhh, and the sort of off white chucks are prob one of the best trainers to buy, and they are already dirt cheap.)

K

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd get some button up shirts and some sort of jackets (blazers, velvet or otherwise) as you don't want to only wear sweaters for nights out, at least IMO.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jl24
Full cashmere is probably out of my budget range.
STP has nice ones for below $200.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you already have lace-up dress shoes? Either way, yes, replace the sneakers, because old footwear tends to be worn out and therefore bad for your feet.

A pair of corduroys is a good idea. Absolutely go for some discounted pure cashmere. 'Versatile' polos should be dressy (solids, not much texture). Sport shirts might be worth considering

As usual, to help more requires more information, like your office dress code and climate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics