Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Building a business wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by doctorvai, Aug 20, 2012.

1. doctorvai

doctorvai Member

Hi everyone,

Soon i'll start working in the financial field (Risk management in a pro services firm). This is gonna be my first experience as an employee, so i don't really own a business wardrobe !

I read a lot of articles on internet and i decided to allocate my savings as the following :

1. Three Custom Made suits : Black - Gray and the other one have a fabric like this : http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/832/840/276/276840832_683.jpg)
    2. Two shoes : Black and Dark Brown Oxfords from Pierre Cardin
    3. Two Belts which matches the shoes's colors
    4. Shirt (i had them) : White - Ocen blue - stripped white and blue - stripped black and white - dark blue
    5. One black tie

I care a lot about my appearance and i think (probably it's the case) that what i've bought isn't enough for a month pass at work (i'm planning to buy more once i'll get paied) !
    I would really like to know your opinion in here. :D

The second thing is that i don't like the shirts i own, could you please help me to know how many shirts i should buy and which colours goes perfect with the suits i've bought ?

The last thing is about the ties :D they are actually expensive, and i don't wanna spend more money on something that it not really as important as shirts ! So could i just go for the first month with just two ties ?

that's all :)

Thank you very much

2. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

I've only been reading SF for a month of two and have already seen this question several times. You could use the search function and add your question (if different) to existing threads.

3. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

+1 on both counts (length of my readership and that ground covered previously).

A couple of points, assuming this is a genuine post:

The general consensus (with which I agree) is that black suits are not a good idea. You certainly don't see them worn by well-dressed men in professional circles in London.

On ties, do you need to wear a tie every day of the week? If so, I would strongly advise against getting through a month with only two ties. Ties are actually one of the cheapest ways in which one can add interest and variety to a limited wardrobe. If you wear the same two ties on alternate days for a month, your first impression will be the guy who has only two ties. Ebay seems to have job lots of Brooks Brothers ties - even that would be a better option. But I thought America was mostly business casual these days?![​IMG]

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

holy crap, complete disaster

6. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Welcome to the forum. It is a shame you did not join, read and ask questions prior to your purchases. You will see that most here do not put much value in a black suit and your wardrobe would have certainly been more flexible and appropriate for most settings with blues and grays. Oxford shoes were a good choice to wear with suits though I feel that most here would not commend you on the brand in terms of quality. Ditch the dark blue shirt. Start with solid, light blues. Investing in more than two ties will extend the number of options for your three suit (two suit) rotation. check out the Men's Clothing classified forum for ties. You will find excellent ones for reasonable prices.

Read, learn, apply. enjoy.

7. doctorvai

doctorvai Member

Hi and thanks all for your answers !

Complete disaster :D Yes actually it is, what do you expect from a beginner !

Well i think i'm a bit lucky if you don't recommand the black suit because the tailor didn't start making it yet, since i choosed a fabric from his own store so that will not be a problem to exchange it with a blue one [​IMG] ! So which type of blue to choose ?

I understand more about ties and what they can offers in terms of flexibility :) so i'll be getting 4 more ! Is it enough ?

And concerning the shirts (forget about those mentionned, i've already said that i don't like them) now i'll have a blue, light and dark gray suits, how many should i get ? And which colors to choose that could fit with the maximum of combination between different suits and ties ?

And about the oxfords, i got both for 100 € in a special clearance, while they costs more than 200€ each ! i've bought them by conviction and not just because they are on sales, and 100€ isn't the big deal anyway !

++

8. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

Search function, hard :D. My head hurts from reading your post :D. Please tell me :D you won't be working or getting paied :D in the Uniteds State of Americans : D

I'm sorry if that's rude, your post is just a train wreck in terms of grammer, spelling, and etiquette, and your avoidance of both Styleforum 101 and the search function is indicative of a low regard for your fellow SF'ers and the way this forum operates.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

BC: calm down, he's just a little lost.

Docvai: for the second time, read SF101

10. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

[​IMG]

11. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

oh the ironing

12. BrizzleCizzle

Fair. OP - take the humor in my post as such, no ill will. And, read SF101/search.

13. BrizzleCizzle

Eff. Where is the spall cheq?!

14. doctorvai

doctorvai Member

Yes that’s rude, English isn’t my native speaking language, actually I do speak four other languages (Better than English anyway, cause it's the last one i've learned) how many do you speak? And no thanks i don't want to work in the US, there are better places for finance... [​IMG]

15. BrizzleCizzle

1) Yes. My apologies exist afore; but whence such occasion occurs that one is led to believe a spammer (or one such entity displaying a disregard for the most basic of internet forum customs, despite your appreciable and admitted politeness) is afoot, the chase is not often founded on civility.
    2) Three. Four when I was younger but I seem to have left my german tongue in the strasse. And none of them all that well, American English included.
    3) There are better places for everything. The US is not so much about work these days as handouts. The melting pot is about to burn down the house.

I hope we can remain friends (that is a lighthearted prod emblematic of an olive branch), and that your wardrobe flourishes with the vast knowledge of SF.