• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Build-a-Bar Workshop

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've already gotten the advice of the resident alcoholics whodini and Connemara, but I figured I'd collect a little more information.

So, I only have 2 friends, I'm gay, I'm ImageWIS, etc. (before Matt.. or ed.. or Conne.. or whodini.. get a chance to screw with me) but I want to start collecting spirits anyways. My wine collection, which it can hardly be called, is not a part of this endeavor. I already have some of this and need to order some of it through Virginia's ABC.

Quick aside: I hate this state.

Here's the list, in no particular order:

Rum:
Bacardi Limon
Bacardi Razz\t
10Cane Rum\t\t
Ron Zacapa Centenario

Scotch:
Dewar's White Label
Highland Park 15\t
Oban 14\t
Macallan 12\t
Signatory Edradaour\t
Laphroaig 15\t

Bourbon:
Pappy Van Winkle's 15
Maker's Mark
Knob Creek
Woodford Reserve

Vodka:

Chopin Vodka
Stolichnaya Elit
Ciroc Vodka
Grey Goose Vodka
Hangar One Kaffir Lime
Hangar One Mandarin Orange

A couple of these were gifts.

Cognac:
Hennessey VSOP
I'd like to fill this out with more than the Hendog. I'm not a huge fan of the Courvoisier that I've tried. Never had RM.

Tequila:

Fina Estampa Reposado
Patron Reposado
El Tesoro Del Don Felipe Anejo\t
Any recommendations of a blanco?

Gin:
Bombay Sapphire
I despise gin so this is all I'm buying.

Cordials/Misc.

Chambord
Cointreau
Quady Vya Dry Vermouth
Grand Marnier
Hypnotiq
Kahlua
Southern Comfort
Sweet and Sour Mix
Bailey's Irish Caramel Cream
Bailey's Irish Cream

I also need suggestions of bitters and whatever else I may need as well as a place to get glassware that is effective but relatively inexpensive. I like Ravenscroft (we have decanters by them) but I want to keep all of my wine / spirits glasses under 250, at least for now. I know I can't get Riedel Vinum or Ravenscroft Sommelier but here's hoping.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'd substitute a Black Maple Hill rye for one of the bourbons. Slightly different taste, adds some versatility.

For bitters I use
angostura_1.jpg

Obviously we can go (and have gone) around and around about Scotch choices, but the absence of Lagavulin saddens me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why do you need so much vodka? It's all the same. Are you going to mix it with Red Bull, or perhaps, GHB?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Why do you need so much vodka? It's all the same. Are you going to mix it with Red Bull, or perhaps, GHB?

+ 1. One or possibly two bottles of vodka should suffice.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ed, ok, that was funny. Ass.

Matt, 3 of those bottles were gifts - I wanted a potato, two flavored.. and a fourth of whatever. Just ended up being more.

I took some of items off of my list i.e. Pyrat and Hennessey Paradis for fear of internet ridicule due to susceptibility to marketing hype. Is Pyrat really that good?

El Dorado looks good - from what I've read, is on par with Ron Zacapa, but the RZC is cheaper.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make sure to keep these away from your women.
DR2FUL.jpg

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have too much rum, especially the "flavored" which you should throw out the window at any passing sorority girls. Get one light, and one dark rum. That will do you.

That much vodka is sinful. It is the alcohol of philistines. One bottle. Drunk ice cold with zakuski.

Sweet and Sour mix? Are you tending bar at TGI Fridays? Throw this away. Use simple syrup or honey syrup, made as necessary.

Learn to like gin.

Buy sweet vermouth--in small bottles as it goes bad, also refrigerate--as well as Campari.

Lawyerdad's recommendation of rye is good. I like Old Overhold although it isn't spectacular.

If you like the taste, get an anis flavoured spirit.

And finally, get a good book. Dale Degroff's The Art of the Cocktail is pretty good, but has some odd recipes that just aren't

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice excluding the rum stuff. I have a few friends, mostly girls, that are fond of either Limon or Razz. Both stay. The light and dark stuff is for me.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Substitute Plymouth or Hendrick's for Bombay Sapphire. BS is the "name brand" gin, but the first two are more drinkable, particularly for people who don't particularly like gin.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Substitute Plymouth or Hendrick's for Bombay Sapphire. BS is the "name brand" gin, but the first two are more drinkable, particularly for people who don't particularly like gin.

I think this is pretty good advice. I really like Plymouth, which I think is a little less medicinal than Bombay Saphire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads