• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buh bye BoO

BlackYeti

Reaction score
Apparently, I'm late to the party, but BoO is going out?! Anyone know what happened?

Actually, does anyone care to know? They're not often mentioned on SF anymore...

The NYT explains it like this: "The clothes were beautifully made. But how many men care that a polo shirt was sewn in Japan using ultrathin super high-gauge cotton pique? And of those, how many are willing or able to pay $175? And of that very limited demographic, how many have the body type to wear a shrunken fit?" I feel like SF is that demographic, and there's plenty of us. So it must be mismanagement, right?

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Kris Van Assche went belly up about the same time. But we know what that designer is doing next.

I found that BoO fit me really well, but I've been moving away from the really fitted stuff. Quality was good, too, but I didn't like that they started making their stuff in China at the end.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Article hit the nail on the head: BoO was boring, but fit well for some people. Once j crew started selling slim fit shirts their days were numbered

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HOVERHAND

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Article hit the nail on the head: BoO was boring, but fit well for some people. Once j crew started selling slim fit shirts their days were numbered

Band was massive here around 09 or so. I still have 2 of their shirts. I like them. The fit is distinctive and is a bit quirkier than just a slim fit, but yes once slim fit was widely available, Band had a hard time selling $275 oxfords.

fisouque

Reaction score
Once j crew started selling slim fit shirts their days were numbered
25.gif

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have bought a few BoO pieces over the years. I always found their prices high for the quality and design. And yes, it makes sense that when lower priced options emerged, it would put pressure on Band.

I also found some of their lines confusing or just plain silly --- "this is not a polo", "no bunk, no junk". I never understood how these lines related to the regular BoO label; that is, were they diffusion lines, made to a different quality level, etc.?

In general, some of their playful takes on standard preppy clothes just came off as silly or juvenile. This was especially true when you saw the BoO line next to Dries Van Noten or McQueen or Anne D on the 3rd floor of Barneys New York Madison Ave. In those instances, the brand often looked ridiculous. BoO would have been better served in Barneys Coop, but for the price point and the brand's likely view that they offered a better product than that typically found in Coop. I guess this proves the contention in the NY Times article that the brand had a hard time fitting in or establishing its niche.

With that said, their basic overdyed button down oxford shirts were really nice (even if too trim for me). And I thought they made some of the best Chinos on the market (basic colors, and especially the rich, saturated seasonal colors). The $250 price point on the Chinos was high, but they could often be gotten on sale for $50 to $100. I thought these were better value and quality than even those offered by that popular Brooklyn/LES purveyor of MTO Chinos.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads