• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffing with Microfiber Cloths

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just discovered this and thought I share it with you guys.

I was in a car accessory shop the other day, and saw a display rack of these microfiber cloths used for cleaning cars. I bought one that can be used dry (there are several kinds) and has allegedly a "suede"-like finish. Tried buffing my shoes with them and they are great! Minimal polishing, but brought out a great shine. Highly recommended.

guynamedsean

Reaction score
I have been using them for this purpose for quite some time. I'm also a car waxing freak, even thogh I rarely do it myself anymore.

If you happen to be buying some of these to use on an expensive car rather than shoes, you need to know that not all microfiber cloths are created equal. The ones you can get from the autoparts store or Target will create alot of swirl marks in the clear coat of your paint. Visit some autodetailing sites to buy the good ones.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
I have been using them for this purpose for quite some time. I'm also a car waxing freak, even thogh I rarely do it myself anymore.

If you happen to be buying some of these to use on an expensive car rather than shoes, you need to know that not all microfiber cloths are created equal. The ones you can get from the autoparts store or Target will create alot of swirl marks in the clear coat of your paint. Visit some autodetailing sites to buy the good ones.

To some people on this forum a vintage pair of Lobbs might just be equal to an expensive car with expensive paintwork/detailing. You might want to suggest the brands to use, lest we have swirl marks, on the shoes of course . . .
laugh.gif

Good to know though. I learn something new on this forum almost everyday. Thanks SF.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have a thread which talks about the Detailer's Paradise Monster Fluffy microfiber towel for buffing shoes. Works great for me.

Microfiber is gentler on the leather but cleans better. Also works well on watches and cleaning leather jackets and briefcases.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centerisl