1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pallena, Nov 1, 2006.

1. arenn

arenn Well-Known Member

I found very little in the way of clothing in BA. I bought one belt from a street vendor that has held up surprisingly well and is very stylish if I must say so myself.

Go for steak. La Cabrera is the place but there are a million decent steak houses.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Unfortunately, I think you need to be a full member to see that guide (I am not). Also, the url is thelondonlounge.net

I'm going to BA in about ten days and will report back.

I'm going to BA tomorrow, for a week. I found some useful information here using the search function. I'll have some pics and info when I get back.

You guys are going to have a blast. We were there last fall, and here are some comments that I hope are useful.

1. Fagliano makes the best riding boots. If you're curious about the second best, I've covered this ad nauseum in a prior shoe damage thread. Try to see a polo match if you can. I think the Argentine Open starts next month and goes into December. In the end, the two other clothing stores that I liked the most were Arandu and Felix. Two other interesting stores were Gil Antiguededes, which sells vintage clothing, jewelry and household items (paging LabelKing), and Gropius, which sells new and vintage midcentury modern furniture and accessories in two shops in Palermo. My wife had a bespoke leather jacket done up at URU Recolleta...measured one day, made that day, and delivered to the Alvear the next. She also had one made up for her twin sister...both jackets came out great. (Hers were lambskin, but carpincho...or capybara as we would know it...is widely available, and is like peccary.)

2. We stayed at the Alvear. Loved it, great butlers and exceptional service. Often had drinks, though, three blocks away at the Palacio Duhau, another lovely place. It was an afternoon ritual for me to have a cigar and scotch there, and then head across the street to a very fine wine shop to select bottles for shipment back home. A real treasure trove of impossible to get Argentinian wines. For drinking wine, I can also recommend Gran Bar Danzon and Terroir.

3. Beef. Had very good meals at Cabaña Las Lilas and Patagonia Sur, and at a social event at an estancia. Had a shitty meal at La Cabaña, which bills itself as the best...it was certainly the most expensive.

4. Had a fun evening at the Fasano, including eating in El Bistro, the Phillipe Starck designed room, seeing a tango show, and goofing around the pool and the bar. Muchas muchachas hermosas! Also had a fun night at La Cigale, but I wouldn't to be in the line outside on Tuesdays.

5. If you possibly can, wind down a bit and visit Colonia in Uruguay. Easy trip from BA.

Oh yeah: better be a nightowl.

- B

3. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Ha! That was two years ago. But actually, I'm going back next week. Argentine steak on Thanksgiving

[​IMG]

Thanks for the recommendations.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Ha! That was two years ago.

Punked again by SF...drat!

But actually, I'm going back next week. Argentine steak on Thanksgiving

[​IMG]

Thanks for the recommendations.

Lucky bastard.

- B

5. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Yes, I was there 2 years ago this month. I did have a blast - you were right about that. I'm more than ready to go back.

6. JoeK

JoeK New Member

Cabanas La Lilas is definitly the best place for steak in BA.

7. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I think the most memorable meal I had was from a street grill (forget what the Argentines call these places). Grilled beef and sausage sandwiches on fresh rolls for about $0.80 each. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Beef, women, wine, and horses...

Brings a tear to my eye.

- B

9. chorse123

Argh. Trip is off. Family emergency. How is B.A. in February or March? I've only ever been there from August to December.

10. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

When I was there in April, the autumn was just beginning. It was lovely.

In Feb-March the cultural stuff may be on summer holiday, if this matters to you.

Also avoid la semana santa around Easter...lots of stuff is just closed.

11. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior Member

Argh. Trip is off. Family emergency. How is B.A. in February or March? I've only ever been there from August to December.

I've been in both.

February, depending on when you go, is quite hot and the city is still in a slumber from January, when the country essentially shuts down and goes to the beach. I found the place to be like New York City on the Fourth of July or Labor Day weekend when the streets are comparitively deserted and you can walk into most restaurants, but you'll sweat a lot.

March can still be rather warm, but the city is officially back to business. Everything will be open and they'll have autumn on the brain.

If you want a really tranquil quiet city with lots of sales at the open stores, then February is better. If you want a bit more life and want it cooler try March.

12. chorse123

That is extremely helpful. Thank you! Sounds like March is the time for us. I've spent a few of those holiday weekends in New York. It can be spooky.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

Beef, women, wine, and horses...

Brings a tear to my eye.

- B

Argentina has its priorities straight. I've been debating lately how much time to spend in Buenos Aires. I was originally planning a 4 month trip to South America where i'd be travelling around pretty much non-stop, but seeing most of the continent, but I want to spend more time down there now (i'll have some work to do during the days) and so i'm simplifying so that my trip is more relaxing.

I'm thinking I might do 5-6 months in BA (with obligatory wine tour of mendoza) and a month or two in Brazil, hopefully finishing up my vacation with Carnaval. It seems like a fantastic place to live, and I am under the impression that the women there are more cultured and better educated than in other places in south america.

14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

any updates on best time to go to argentina? are there any seasonal sales time like in paris?

I am thinking about going sometime between August and Early November. Also, any input on the weather there during those times? Thank you...

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

any updates on best time to go to argentina? are there any seasonal sales time like in paris?

I am thinking about going sometime between August and Early November. Also, any input on the weather there during those times? Thank you...

I'm in BA now, a little chilly, but not too bad. august is cold, november is nice - but not chicago cold, nice cool cold. I have no idea about the sales, not sure that there is a lot to buy here aside from food and leather.