• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget Tailor Suggestions in Hong Kong?

theleonlion

Reaction score
I realize that there are numerous threads on this very topic, but I am having trouble finding one that is specific to my question.

I will be leaving for Hong Kong in two days and am looking into getting a suit and several shirts made. My budget is around $500 at most and I would prefer a relatively quick turnaround time (one to two weeks at most).

I've done some research and found that Jantzen seems to be a pretty decent choice for my situation, especially in terms of cost.

Are there any suggestions out there?

Also, this is my first time shopping for bespoke clothing and one of my first times shopping for formal clothing, period. What do I need to know?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you most need to know is that by and large you will get what you pay for. Costs in HK have gone up considerably lately. Not sure that even Jantzen can make you a decent suit plus several shirts for only $500 these days. Perhaps some of our members in HK can advise you better. However, if you forgo getting the shirts, you may be able to get a decent suit for around $700 or so. You can try checking out some of the innumerable threads here on Hong Kong tailoring.

theleonlion

Reaction score
Ouch. While I am obviously not expecting top notch quality from a $500 suit made in Hong Kong, I would at least want to get something decent.

I really can't spend more than $500 as I am still a college student.

I can probably forgo getting the shirts though.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the sense you don't have many suits, so I'd look for a worsted wool fabric 9 to 11 ounces (depending on where you live), preferably solid color, either in navy or dark gray, depending on what you already have. Beware of high Super numbers (meaning the cloth is woven from very fine yarn)--such fabrics are usually lacking durability.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Peter Lee. He'll be able to make you a suit for not too much money. His in-house fabrics are decent enough, and I agree with JLibourel about starting with a plain navy or mid to dark gray. At this level, you indeed get what you pay for, and this reflects most importantly in the way your suit is constructed. You can either have it fused (which means the outer fabric and the inner "shell" that gives a suit its shape) are glued together. This is less durable, and will make your suit less comfortable in the heat, as it breathes less well. Also, it will over time not adapt to your body shape. With this construction, you might end up at about $500 at Peter Lee. You can also get it canvassed, which means that the layers are sewn together, which takes much more time, and hence is more expensive. However, the suit will be more comfortable in warm weather, will last you longer and will in turn adapt to your body. However, it will be $200 more. Your call. In any case, do NOT go to any of the suit touts that will harass you in Tsim Sha Tsui. You will be disappointed, $500 poorer and still not in possession of a decent suit. If you want to know what to ask a tailor: look at the style guide here, then read the "how to" here, and if you really want, you can make a little checklist for yourself by using the suit designer here. Good luck.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theleonlion
Also, what kind of fabric should I choose?
You're probably looking at in-house fabrics at Peter Lee. Where you live and the climate there depends on the kind of fabrics you want but he has an okay selection.
Originally Posted by RogerC
Go to Peter Lee. He'll be able to make you a suit for not too much money. His in-house fabrics are decent enough, and I agree with JLibourel about starting with a plain navy or mid to dark gray. At this level, you indeed get what you pay for, and this reflects most importantly in the way your suit is constructed. You can either have it fused (which means the outer fabric and the inner "shell" that gives a suit its shape) are glued together. This is less durable, and will make your suit less comfortable in the heat, as it breathes less well. Also, it will over time not adapt to your body shape. With this construction, you might end up at about $500 at Peter Lee. You can also get it canvassed, which means that the layers are sewn together, which takes much more time, and hence is more expensive. However, the suit will be more comfortable in warm weather, will last you longer and will in turn adapt to your body. However, it will be $200 more. Your call. In any case, do NOT go to any of the suit touts that will harass you in Tsim Sha Tsui. You will be disappointed, $500 poorer and still not in possession of a decent suit. If you want to know what to ask a tailor: look at the style guide here, then read the "how to" here, and if you really want, you can make a little checklist for yourself by using the suit designer here. Good luck.
Go for half canvassed if you can't afford a full canvas. I think it's around US$500-600 at PL. Fused really isn't worth it for MTM/bespoke IMO.

theleonlion

Reaction score
I have noticed that SF members seem to have a pretty high opinion of Lee Baron/Peter Lee and will definitely be checking it out.

Are there any ways to get a small discount from tailors in Hong Kong?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theleonlion
I have noticed that SF members seem to have a pretty high opinion of Lee Baron/Peter Lee and will definitely be checking it out.

Are there any ways to get a small discount from tailors in Hong Kong?

Some have a high opinion of these two tailors - far from all.

The advice here is right enough about the price you are suggesting - you might even be better to try an RTW from a local shop - I have seen some that look OK from such places. They won't last or be wonderful though. Discounts are few if you bare only buying a few items - or even one as you seem set to be, they may thrown an odd cheap tie in as a sweetener but don't expect being able to negotiate anyone half decent down - if they they will find a way to take it out of the product.

Maybe you might be better saving your money.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would they give you a discount? If you're a one-time buyer, they need to extract as much out of you as possible, especially given skyrocketing real estate rates in Hong Kong, and increasing fabric prices. If you're a repeat customer, they'll grandfather you over new price increases. You can't get front row seats for a penny.

Also: don't go RTW. You will not find anything better than, say, midrange BB for the same money in HK.

theleonlion

Reaction score
I guess I'm just used bargaining prices in smaller shops in Hong Kong.

I've tried RTW suits but have almost always been unsatisfied. My shoulders are sloped weirdly and most RTW suits add too much padding for my shoulders.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts here about Baron Kay's. Some of their work I've seen posted here looked pretty good, and I know they're at a lower price point than my friends in Kowloon.

theleonlion

Reaction score
Hmm. I've actually never heard of Baron Kay's. Information on SF about it seems to be quite limited as well. Could you please point to some examples of their work?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just head to the TST area of Nathan Road, near Chungking Mansions. Many nice indian gentlemen there. Should be able to get a great suit for around $500 and you'll probably get a Rolex watch as well as part of the deal.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
Just head to the TST area of Nathan Road, near Chungking Mansions. Many nice indian gentlemen there. Should be able to get a great suit for around $500 and you'll probably get a Rolex watch as well as part of the deal.

I miss the days of very shady Chungking Mansions.

Now it's just tailors next to curry places. Or tailors who cook you some curry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads