• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget Suit for Large Drop?

venivididecessi

Reaction score
I've browsed the forums, and have come across "good budget suit" threads and "best suits for large drop" threads. I am, however, in the situation where I need both. I have a current hard budget of $300 (excluding tailoring), and am looking for a beginning suit to have (in college, going to start job interviews in about 3 months).

My current measurements are 41/31 chest/waist. In other threads, I've seen many people recommend MTM, but even the low end of that ($500) is out of reach.

I'm living in Greenville, SC for an internship, and travel to Columbia, SC every weekend. Columbia doesn't have any dedicated suit stores that I know of except for Jos a Bank. I don't know of any other commonly recommended suit stores near Greeville, either. Considering my budget, I'm probably going to be relegated to searching department stores and looking for sales in Columbia's JAB store.

Also, I'm not so sure about the JAB suits, though, as I've heard they are cut very boxy, which would not good on me without very aggressive tailoring (which may not look good either). I'm new to the suit style area, and am unsure as to where to look, considering my budget. Are there OTR suit brands at department stores that have large drop/ are slimmer fit? Thanks in advance!

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably need to be looking for suit separates on a budget that small, and even then you'll probably need some sort of sale to be going on in order to avoid buying utter trash.

venivididecessi

Reaction score
Do you know what brands of suits that would be on sale in that range do you not consider "utter trash"? I'm not sure how much initial price is an indicator of quality, especially if everything in my budget will likely be fused.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you were able to get Brooks Brothers suit separates on sale, that would be better than getting something like Tommy Hilfiger, Alfani Red, Jos. A Banks etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads