• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget Stereo setup for student

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, So this will probably best be fielded by the audiophiles of the forum. I am moving into my apartment soon (its a bit small but place is made of wood, not concrete, and standard thickness walls for Japan. So acoustics are decent and I dont need anything too loud), and I want to build a fairly ok stereo setup for movies, vinyl, and high bit MP3s. I dont really want a surround system and am running on a budget. I have been eyeballing used Marantz Amps on Yahoo auctions and found a few Technics 1200MK3s that are in ok shape. I haven't bought anything yet so I would appreciate a bit of help before I make the plunge and start getting stuff.

Any specific models of amps, turn tables or speakers you could suggest for me? I understand whatever deck I get I will probably have to toss a decent cart and stylus in there so any suggestions for that would be cool too.

I would prefer to keep it under $350 for everything. Yahoo auctions Japan and Kakaku are both at my disposal so anything you guys find on there and can link to me would be cool too.

So far I was thinking about going a kit like this:
Denon D-MX11 for about $220 or the speakers can be had by themselves for about $150 a pair.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
At that price, you have top buy used gear or you could do something like an iPod plus some $200 powered speakers with iPod connector like Audio Engine.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd spend the last few days of dorm life perusing the set-ups in neighboring rooms. If one catches your eyes, take it!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im totally cool with used gear. I looked at the specs on that Denon setup and bout **** my pants at how low they were, so its off my list. I really would prefer not to go the iPod route as I hate iPods and have a couple other MP3 players already. I really want a turntable too as new and used vinyl is very cheap here and there is a lot of selection when it comes to Punk/Trance/NuJazz/etc.
The system will also probably be hooked up to a HTPC and DVD player.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I would look at used NAD and Adcom gear, preferably integrated amps. For speakers, that's tough at this price point. Look for used speakers from Paradigm and PSB. Avoid small plastic ones from Bose.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, I was gonna avoid Bose anyways. I mean I may be a noob when it comes to Audio gear (dispite my father and older brother being audiophiles) but I am not that dumb. I just wish there were more garage sales, or the like, around here. My dad has picked up a pair of Heath AS-101 at a garage sale for $10 and components over the years for a fraction of what they are worth. Thanks for the suggestions. Ill see what I can find.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about a used Marantz PS3001. On Yahoo Japan auctions there is one going for just under $50. Its gonna end in 10 hours.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
How do you feel about a used Marantz PS3001. On Yahoo Japan auctions there is one going for just under $50. Its gonna end in 10 hours.

Marantz is a good brand but I am not familiar with this particular model.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just about to start my own thread on something like this. I have a small space (250 sq feet) and would like something a little better than the built in speakers on my TV, but budget is very limited. Are there any decent quality bookshelf systems for very little money?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads