• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget dress shoe recommendations - wide size 12 feet

shipbroker

Reaction score
Hi SF'ers,

This is my maiden post. I'm living in Singapore and as the posts here suggest it is a wasteland where nice shoes are concerned.

I've just graduated and will be starting work next week. I'm looking for 2 pairs of shoes to get a rotation going.

Based on a cursory search here and in retail stores in the country, the only decent shoes are Loakes (1880 not available, only the shoemaker series and below), and Barkers (lower tier ones from what I've seen). Church's are available but they start at around 600 SGD for the book binder crap :( - on a sidenote their lower tier rubber soled shoes really feel like crap - no different from my horrible Rockports - blasphemy???!

I'm looking to purchase them online either through P Lal, Herrings or pediwear, as such I need recommendations for suitable lasts and sizes.

Currently I wear a pair of Rockport Almartin wingtips - US 12 wide: [=http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Almartin-Mens-Oxford/dp/B004EVZ2JA][/]

I tried a pair of Loake 747. The UK 11 in F was far too snug. The UK 12 F was almost right though slightly long and width wise a tad snug as well. The leather was also far too stiff and pain inducing. They didn't have 1/2 sizes and wider lasts unfortunately.

I'm considering Ed et al, however from their website their shoes look a little too slim for my gorilla width feet.

I could scrimp and try for C&J benchgrades given P Lal's generous prices and affordable shipping. But I'm worried C&Js might be too snug for me.

Please do let me know what brands, lasts and sizes I should be looking at. My sincerest thanks!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you mean by slightly long, about a half inch, I would consider this acceptable and you can break these in. As far as lasts, I would let others respond but you sound like the same size as me. I usually allow for snug and a good break in period and these turn out to be well fitted shoes. Stretch as well.

Also you might find bluchers will allow for a bit more room.

shipbroker

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply sir. Yes, by a bit long there's probably half an inch or so of extra space. Fit wise if I were to purchase them I'd probably have gone with the 12F. What brands and lasts have you found luck with?

With my feet I worry that further down the road I might not be able to fit into the tapered G&G etc.

Probably a good thing though, cuz slim lasts might not look good on a big heavy set man yes?

I've read that Loakes tend to run wide, so if a Loake F is snug then for Cheany, C&J what widths should I be looking at?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my own experience, I've had good fits from BB English shoes (AS I believe), Ferragamo, Some shoes from Paul Stuart, AE, Gucci and a few other brands.

Trial and error, just make sure you can return them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads