• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Budget" clothing

davo10375

Reaction score
First post woo

I see a lot of people on these forums discussing expensive clothes, expensives shoes etc... not sure if i represent the extreme minority but all that stuff is generally too expensive for me.

The question I want to know.. what are some good "budget" brands/clothes. I live in Australia (perth :| ) so i cant get everything, but possibly some overseas brands online.

mainly looking for:

Hoodies
Polos
Shirts
Blazers/Jackets
Jeans
Belts
Casual shoes

also feel free to put forth any other ideas about budget shopping/clothing

cheers,
dave

Histrion

Reaction score
Well, I dress on a budget, too. There are a lot of ways to get some pretty good stuff if you are patient enough. Also, I live in QuÃ
00a9.png
bec City and there are no good places to shop. So I'm used to it.

What I would tell you, first of all, is to be on the look out for sales. For instance, I am wearing a pair of Neil Barrett military sneakers at the moment that retailed for 250$. I paid 39$ (!) at Scoop NYC for them in August last summer. Also, Yoko Devereaux has some pretty good sales online, going up to 80% off retail. Yoox is also great for that.

Another trick: don't be afraid of buying lightly used clothing items. Look at the sales forum here and on Superfuture. I bought lots of items on the cheap that way: the Oliver Spencer polo I'm wearing now, for instance, or a Prada v-neck for 70$, pairs of jeans such a R&B and SugarCanes, a Trovota polo, a suit, many shirts and ties, t-shirts, etcetera. A lot of what I wear has been bought online, either here or on some online stores.

Also look into the forum's sponsors. They have some good deals. The APC jeans from Mauro at the DenimBar are a great value and Mauro is great to deal with.

As for cheaper brands, well, that's the usual: H&M, Uniqlo, J. Crew, AA, etcetera. These places can be good for some basics like hoodies.

As far as watches (though you didn't mention it) are concerned, you can go for a Seiko.

Best of luck!

migo

Reaction score
it's been covered, but I'll repeat:

sales, sales, forum sponsors, sales, and more sales. That and the "mall brands" (jcrew, etc). I'm fairly certain that most people on the board don't pay full price for a lot of their stuff.

seamless74

Reaction score
dude seriously.. with ebay theres no excuse for anyone to upgrade their look affordably.. as well as American apparel and alternative apparel... go a little vintage, get some used **** , hit ebay bro its the best deal going...

im not the biggest sale guy... because usually for the most part if stuffs going on sale (unless its a special deal here or on superfuture) alot of the reason is it sucks and no one likes it... thats why its cheaper so buyin **** clothes for cheap doesnt really do you good like the whole "two of **** is still **** thing"..

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THe main thing is to make sure it fits well... Here's examples of what I wear according to your list, and how much the item typically costs me
Originally Posted by davo10375
mainly looking for:

Hoodies: American Apparel ~$40
Polos: Gap ~$30
Shirts: Gap Fitted Premium ~$40 (or less on sale)
Blazers/Jackets: H&M $70
Jeans: Gap $20 (On sale, overdye morrisons)
Belts: American Eagle $20
Casual shoes: Jack Purcells $30 (on sale @ outlet mall)

All of these are plain with nondescript branding and labelling. If you find them in the right fit, you pretty much can't tell visually they're any cheaper/more expensive than they really are.

jkennett

Reaction score
You should have included Australia in your title, so your compatriots could have helped a bit. I think jpgm actually lives in Perth, and he has some amazing style.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the marketplace forums. SF, SuFu, Mynudies have stuff being sold well below retail.

Chris Benson

Reaction score
I was like you, every once and a while a person wants a new shirt or new pair of jeans just to update their closet. Normally I would hit the mall and wince when I would buy a pair of jeans that cost me $80 and add in a shirt and you're well over $100 and you got one outfit.

Now, I know what I like and I visit e-bay often just to see what sales they have there, and I'm also a big fan of second hand clothing stores. These stores are great, jeans that would normally cost you $80 cost $10 and look brand new. I can walk in with $50 and walk out with at least 3 outfits.

Try checking that out

egzero

Reaction score
i'm not sure if they have many factory outlets in Australia but personally i think thats a great place to shop for brand name stuff. Of course outlets usually don't have as good of a selection as their regular retail counterparts but a lot of times you can find good stuff there. A lot of times you can get good deals at the mall too at places like American Eagle and Gap. Also, there are so many online places you can buy from...if you are Ebay savy that's a good place to shop too for great deals (just make sure you do some research first so you dont' end up with a bunch of cheap knockoffs).

egzero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Benson
I was like you, every once and a while a person wants a new shirt or new pair of jeans just to update their closet. Normally I would hit the mall and wince when I would buy a pair of jeans that cost me $80 and add in a shirt and you're well over $100 and you got one outfit.

Now, I know what I like and I visit e-bay often just to see what sales they have there, and I'm also a big fan of second hand clothing stores. These stores are great, jeans that would normally cost you $80 cost $10 and look brand new. I can walk in with $50 and walk out with at least 3 outfits.

Try checking that out

yup, once you shop around enough you'll know what items you should never pay full retail on and what items you might have to

Queue

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of lurking about the thrift stores for a few good gems. Perhahps taking in the leg or inseams a bit to modernize and otherwise "oldschool fit" (too baggy).

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
eBay and these forums are pretty amazing. You can get some quality stuff for a fraction of the retail price if you don't mind buying secondhand.

Not sure of the availability of these brands for you, but my daily wear is Levi's with an American Apparel shirt (AA hoodie if it's cold out), and a pair of Converse or Vans. All of this can be had for <$50 USD if you're a good shopper. I'm as comfortable in these clothes (if not more) than the expensive brands.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what do you people search for when on eBay? Do you search brands or just browse?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads