• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buddy Holly Style

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
20041206_buddy-holly.jpg

Is he wearing Thom Browne? Wow, how could he even consider doing such a thing? He looks like he's wearing his little brother's suit! Someone get a Pee Wee Herman picture, that's two peas in a pod right there. What a flash in the pan, no way a guy who wears such trendy clothing is going to last.

devil.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
someone tell Desmond Dekker to stop wearing his kid bro's suits!!

desmond_dekker_and_four_aces1.JPG

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Didn't these guys know they were living during the peak, peak I say! of the Ivy League style? Back in the day when Brooks was at its best, everyone was well dressed, and no one cared about the whims of fashion. Bunch a' ninnies if you ask me.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Is he wearing Thom Browne? Wow, how could he even consider doing such a thing? He looks like he's wearing his little brother's suit! Someone get a Pee Wee Herman picture, that's two peas in a pod right there. What a flash in the pan, no way a guy who wears such trendy clothing is going to last.
And now he's dead.

Coincidence? I think not.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I was not around at the time so I do not know whether these gentlemen were considered style icons but I do now that their popularity and longevity had more to do with their singing talents than it did with their sartorial awareness. Also, weren't most of the bands/singers of this time dressed by others (actually wasn't almost every move of theirs planned by handlers)? If I am not mistaken, a good number of performers were dressed in small suits around this time so it wasn't making the same statement that a Thom Browne suit would make today. Lastly, while small by current standards, their suits still fit. Mr. Browne is advocating suit jackets that barely close and pants, with knee patches, that do not fall below the ankle. I would ask myself, what would Buddy Holly and Sam Cooke wear today if they were still performing. Something tells me it would be along the lines of Brioni/Oxxford/Savile Row more so than Thom Browne (actually maybe Richard James or Ozswald Boateng for Mr. Holly).

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I look forward to an on the street picture of y'all wearing that.
Don't have the complexion for the colors, but the cuts ain't bad. I've said all along that I'd go with pants that just brush the top of my shoes, not high-waters.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
What works for a musical performer on stage or on an album cover does not necessarily work for a real human on the street and certainly not in the office, which is what Thom Browne seems to be aiming for.

Holly, Cooke and the Temptations are all very cool, but one must approach their clothing with the understanding that it is more costume than real clothing.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Tiger's thread indirectly illustrates the problem I have with Thom Browne SUPPORTERS who keep insisting he is doing something "new and innovative"...because while I like his concept, he is far from original, as these pics illustrate. He is just referencing a certain point in fashion history. Before I ever heard of Thom Browne, I was getting my normal jackets shortened into "bum freezers", I just wish I was the one who marketed it before Browne jumped on it.
plain.gif

The Thom Browne detractors are just dull. You don't like it, don't wear it. It's not your style, so be it. But the vitriolic responses towards him are amazing, like the world was ending because of his bum freezer suits. There are plenty of suits that abide by the traditional standards at your disposal.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
What works for a musical performer on stage or on an album cover does not necessarily work for a real human on the street and certainly not in the office, which is what Thom Browne seems to be aiming for.

Holly, Cooke and the Temptations are all very cool, but one must approach their clothing with the understanding that it is more costume than real clothing.

But that style wasn't just a stage fashion, it was based on real on the street style. I've seen pics of real life guys in the early 60s wearing bumfreezers who werent performing. These pics were just easy to pull up because they are well known artists.

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Well, I was not around at the time so I do not know whether these gentlemen were considered style icons but I do now that their popularity and longevity had more to do with their singing talents than it did with their sartorial awareness. Also, weren't most of the bands/singers of this time dressed by others (actually wasn't almost every move of theirs planned by handlers)? If I am not mistaken, a good number of performers were dressed in small suits around this time so it wasn't making the same statement that a Thom Browne suit would make today. Lastly, while small by current standards, their suits still fit. Mr. Browne is advocating suit jackets that barely close and pants, with knee patches, that do not fall below the ankle. I would ask myself, what would Buddy Holly and Sam Cooke wear today if they were still performing. Something tells me it would be along the lines of Brioni/Oxxford/Savile Row more so than Thom Browne (actually maybe Richard James or Ozswald Boateng for Mr. Holly).

Do we even have pop artists with any sense of sartorial style today?

I guess P. Diddy tries to rise above grunge.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
Do we even have artists like this today?

I guess P. Diddy tries to rise above grunge.

No, unforutanetly we don't. Yes, P. Diddy to an extent but I can't remember when was the last time a popular music artist was in a worthy suit. Even when they are on trial they bypass the suit. Jeez, you bought back some really bad grunge memories. People were paying big money for clothes that looked like it was picked off from homeless people. It was absolutely appalling on so many levels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads