1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Budd Shirts (Piccadilly Arcade)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jun 28, 2011.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

2. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Budd shirts is now closed for refurbishment until the end of August. On a similar note Paxton and Whitfield is also closed for refurbishment and C & J new flagship store in Jermyn Street has now opened (the other store will remain open).

3. lureynol

lureynol Active Member

My father swears by Budd RTW shirts.

I can't comment on the fit overly, although he likes a little space in his shirts.

What I can say is that they are good quality - he's had many of his for over 10 years.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The one in the Burlington Arcade will stay open?

5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I was only aware of one in the Piccadilly Arcade which was the one I was referring to. All the contents had been cleared by Tuesday and the notice said they were closed for August.

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that refers to C&J..........

................and that refers to Budd.

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

And the original one in Jermyn Street I was told.

8. st.tully

st.tully Active Member

Has anyone seen the "refurbished" Budd shop? They were closed the month of August and have supposedly re-openned. I'm curious to know what it looks like. Thanks.

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

I do hope it's still there. In the U.S. 'closed for renovation' (the word refurbishment is rarely used here) is often a euphemism for 'gone for good.'

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

They're just making the staircase a bit more practical and improving changing space i believe. The money would be better spent on a hearing aid for the old bugger who works there IMO.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Budd Shirtmakers is open again. I passed there yesterday, but didn't have the time to go in.

It doesn't look very different, but you can now look into the store as the back wall
    of the windows has gone.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  12. RSS

RSS Senior member

Good to know. It's a favorite.

13. st.tully

st.tully Active Member

Pictures of the refurbished Budd are now on the website. Looks like they managed to make it look rather bland - especially when compared to the old shop. Anyone stopped by to see it in person?

http://www.buddshirts.co.uk/shop-gallery/

14. dandy1

dandy1 Senior member

I would avoid Budd. There is hardly any choice amongst their RTW, if you do by chance spot a shirt you like they often wont have it in your size as they carry such minimal stock (shop is the size of a shoebox). There is no clarity on where they have their rtw shirts made these days although they will tell you over and over that they are made in england (but without any specifics given) and shirts have variation in cut (ie dimensions can vary between shirts in the same size .. god knows why?).

To cap it all off the service is atrocious .. the policy is either to ignore the customer entirely or else rude and surly (Mr Rowley the manager is still using the 1960s manual for terrible english customer service .. he has a young guy working under him called Chris Mundy who is ok).

The shop seems to hardly have any customers left in the shop .. this is one example of where the customer public has clearly voted with their feet going to T&A for similar prices or to other decent places like N&L round the corner.

15. EFBenson

EFBenson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if anyone would like to take one for the team, and assess the construction quality of Budd bespoke, they do have for sale an order of bespoke shirts that have not been picked up... I have the requisite 16" neck, but the chest and arm measurements are- unfortunately- too small for me

16. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I use Budd for my bespoke shirts, and their quality is decent, and comparable to T&A, Emma Willis etc. Good clean stitching throughout (all machine-stitched), decent shanked buttonholes etc.

Fwiw, I quite like Rowley, and have found him to be very helpful. Admittedly, I don't meet him that often, and interact primarily with the bespoke team.

17. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

An update on Budd: their new web-site now features an on-line shop.

According to Mr Rowley, this happened last Thursday.

Andrey

18. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

An update on Budd. I was in London briefly this weekend and decided to stop in and get fitted. While obviously I haven't received a shirt yet and can't comment on the final product, I can tell you that they don't profess to favor a blousy shirt. Rather, they claim to fit each body individual and to accede to customer wishes. I don't like tight-fitting shirts, but I certainly don't want anything blousy through the body and my sense is that I won't get it. I'm fairly picky about shirts, and Budd was willing to accommodate all of my wishes (although they made a few suggestions to the contrary and I accepted their suggestions). The price is very reasonable for bespoke shirts. Fitting and cutting are done in the shop in London and everything else is done outside of London by 8 people who work only for Budd. I will update on process/product if people are interested.

19. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

I may still own a Budd shirt or two from about 8 years back. I'd have to go digging through what has unwittingly become an overly large and borderline Gatsbyesque collection of shirts to find them.

The necessary humblebrag out of the way, let me say that I was impressed with their work back then. I have no idea how much has changed in recent years, but I would put them on a similar tier to T&A -- albeit with fewer immediately available options for shirtings, due to the smaller size of the firm.

Currently I use teh Emma when I'm in London. Have also heard effusive praise for Sean O'Flynn, and I may try him out very soon.

20. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

An update. I just received my first shirt from Budd. The construction seems very good and I particularly like the pleating of the sleeve before the cuff and the fact that the collar has something keeping it stiff but the "something" isn't fused. Unfortunately, the fit is disastrous. I factor in a margin of error for a first fitting, but it's hard to believe this is my shirt. The sleeves stop about four inches above my wrist and the chest and shoulders are way off. I will very interested to see how Budd proposes to go forward. It will take a lot of alteration to get this right. I'm not going to post pics yet because this shirt was done in error and can't be representative.