• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buck bag

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find one of those little bags of chalk-like powder for covering marks on white buckskin shoes?

I know that Cole-Haan used to make them (or at least slap their name on them), but they no longer offer them, and two shoe repair places have told me that these "buck bags" are no longer made. Is this true? Can I make my own?

Looking to improve

Reaction score
While I was in Boston for a conference last year, I bought a pair of AE white bucks at the AE store on Newbury St. I did buy a 'buck bag' (is that how you call it?) along with the shoes. I noticed in this years AE catalogue that the white bucks are no longer carried, but perhaps some AE stores may have some 'buck bags' left.

If I had to make my own, I would probably put chalk-powder in a handkerchief and use that.

Good luck.

MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I was in Boston for a conference last year, I bought a pair of AE white bucks at the AE store on Newbury St. I did buy a 'buck bag' (is that how you call it?) along with the shoes. I noticed in this years AE catalogue that the white bucks are no longer carried, but perhaps some AE stores may have some 'buck bags' left. If I had to make my own, I would probably put chalk-powder in a handkerchief and use that. Good luck. MtB
Just out of curiosity, have you worn them here? What was the reaction?
smile.gif

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you worn them here? What was the reaction? Â
smile.gif
I have worn them. Here. The reaction varied. The 'general public' reacted anywhere between raised eyebrows and a (visible) "What was he thinking" frown and fits of laughter. People more interested in better clothes/shoes have reacted more favourably. To be honest, I don't care. I like them. As an aside, I went to see the Lidforts saturday. Nice, very nice. I liked the brogueing around the laces. MtB Edited to correct a spelling mistake

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 12 July 2004, 02:38) Just out of curiosity, have you worn them here? What was the reaction? Â
smile.gif

I have worn them. Here. The reaction varied. The 'general public' reacted anywhere between raised eyebrows and a (visible) "What was he thinking" frown and fits of laughter. People more interested in better clothes/shoes have reacted more favourably. To be honest, I don't care. I like them. As an aside, I went to see the Lidforts saturday. Nice, very nice. I liked the brogueing around the laces. MtB Edited to correct a spelling mistake
The reaction sounds similar to when I wear my canvas and leather spectators. Pity that the summer so far has been awful (to say the least). Nice Lidforts yes? Very English in execution, not Italian looking at all (well, maybe some je ne sais quoi way). Tempting you instead of a Green?
biggrin.gif
Did you check out their Brioni selection upstairs? Not much, since they deal mostly in MTM.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
The reaction sounds similar to when I wear my canvas and leather spectators. Â Pity that the summer so far has been awful (to say the least). Nice Lidforts yes? Â Very English in execution, not Italian looking at all (well, maybe some je ne sais quoi way). Â Tempting you instead of a Green? Â
biggrin.gif
Did you check out their Brioni selection upstairs? Â Not much, since they deal mostly in MTM.
I'm treading carefully here, lest I/we be accused of another thread hijack... About your spectators, that's the 'price' we pay... And pay with that secret smile
smile.gif
. The summer could do with a bit less rain
sad.gif
. But I can now also be on the lookout for either Berluti's of tan/canvas spectators. That narrows it down a bit. Care for a more accurate description of the two? Model names? Nice Lidforts indeed. Tempting me enough to consider a special order Green 'Newbury' with toe medallion, perhaps even on a 606 last. I could also just order a pair of C&J "Weymouth" and save a bundle, but I'm not sure about their fit. I could ask this weekend in Maastricht. I asked about the Brioni selection, but didn't go upstairs as I understood it was all m-t-m. MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All quotes originally by Looking to Improve:
I'm treading carefully here, lest I/we be accused of another thread hijack...
biggrin.gif
..The summer could do with a bit less rain . But I can now also be on the lookout for either Berluti's of tan/canvas spectators. That narrows it down a bit. Care for a more accurate description of the two? Model names?
Today is pretty fine. My spectators are from E.Green, the Malvern in Khaki twill and burnt pine . The Berluti's are bespoke Club 2 (?) wholecut with 4 eyelets.
Nice Lidforts indeed. Tempting me enough to consider a special order Green 'Newbury' with toe medallion, perhaps even on a 606 last. I could also just order a pair of C&J "Weymouth" and save a bundle, but I'm not sure about their fit. I could ask this weekend in Maastricht.
Make sure to report back on possible sales there. If you are wondering about the fit of C&J's 337 last, check out Pelger's in centrum, they have some handgrades on that last. I'm really tempted by those Lidforts though..... been tempted for a few months now.
wink.gif
I asked about the Brioni selection, but didn't go upstairs as I understood it was all m-t-m
No, they do have a limited of RTW upstairs. Who helped you? A young guy or the older gentlemen (owner)?

Looking to improve

Reaction score
My spectators are from E.Green, the Malvern in Khaki twill and burnt pine . Â The Berluti's are bespoke Club 2 (?) wholecut with 4 eyelets.
wow.gif
. When will we see the drooling smiley? I'll keep my eyes peeled. Now I'm especially interested in the Berluti's (I saw pictures on their website). I must say I thought 3 eyelets too few, and I'm not even sure about just four. Hence my thoughts about the 'Weymouth' or the "Newbury' (aside from the cost of bespoke Berluti's, of course).
Make sure to report back on possible sales there. If you are wondering about the fit of C&J's 337 last, check out Pelger's in centrum, they have some handgrades on that last.
I will. I trust S&S's judgment to a greater degree than Pelgers... and since I'm going to Maastricht this weekend. O Joy. Â
I'm really tempted by those Lidforts though..... been tempted for a few months now.
...Must resist... As must I. Perhaps you could identify the virus/bacteria that causes Imeldaïtis in a new research project?
biggrin.gif
. I'm not sure that those suffering would want a cure though...
No, they do have a limited of RTW upstairs. Â Who helped you? A young guy or the older gentlemen (owner)?
The older gentleman helped me. He seemed nice. TCN, I'd be interested to know whether you've succeeded in finding a 'buck bag'. MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
...Now I'm especially interested in the Berluti's (I saw pictures on their website). I must say I thought 3 eyelets too few, and I'm not even sure about just four.
Same here when I first discussed the model with them. Â Four is actually quite nice, fitting with the overall effect of the shoe. Â The tryons I had were five eyelets, and it did not look as nice.
......Must resist... As must I. Perhaps you could identify the virus/bacteria that causes Imeldaïtis in a new research project?  . I'm not sure that those suffering would want a cure though...
We already know it spreads via the Style Forum and Ask Andy (the first known virus that jumps the internet. ), now who could the carriers be?.... Bengal-Stripe, Jcusey, A.harris.... Â
biggrin.gif

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rosin bags for baseball pitchers are basically the same thing.  Try a sporting goods store or website.
Great tip, thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads