• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bruno Magli Quality

meauounji

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

I've been looking at some Bruno Magli's but have some questions regarding their quality. Anyone had any horror stories about how they just fall apart on you or something like that? Also, anyone know anything about how they fit, smaller, true to size, or whatever.

This is what I was looking at, by the way.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRUNO-MAGLI-Brow...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks ahead of time!

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
I really don't like Bruno Magli shoes. They appear very cheap to me -- lots of plastic-looking leather, funky rubber soles, etc.

What are you looking for in a shoe? If you tell us what you are looking for, you can get some recommendations for high-quality alternatives -- there are many.

meauounji

Reaction score
Well, I'm really looking for some medium brown cap toes or wing tips that are pointy-ish. The problem comes in terms of sizing. Most good looking shoes I find seem long and narrow and don't come in wide. I'm somewhere between a 9wide and a 9.5medium, depending on the brand/cut/last/whatever. Lately, I've taken to buying 9.5's and putting those gel heels in (not the whole sole, just the heel) because the 9.5 width seems to fit me great most of the time, but the length is usually a little much.... one day when I can afford it, I'm just gonna go bespoke and be done with it, but not right NOW.
frown.gif

JR88

Reaction score
I've had good experiences with Brunos. They are very comfortable and the leather is nice. Of course it's all relative though. Quality compared to what, Skechers or JL?

As for rubber soles, those can be valuable if you live in a city and walk (instead of drive) everywhere, including when the sidewalk is wet. Leather soles are prettier as a general rule, but it's nice having one or two pairs of rubber-soled shoes to pair with a suit if circumstances make that preferable.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's unfair, but I can't hear the name without thinking of OJ Simpson and his infamous Magli shoes.

Otherwise, unmemorable shoes...

noVA99

Reaction score
I have a pair of B.M's that I bought new at a discount store back in '99. A 'split toe light' with stiching around the top, very muted split toe in front, shiny leather, leather sole....very classy. I get compliments all the time. I havent seen a shoe like that in Magli's line for years now and the stuff they have out now (at least what I have seen offered in dept. stores), the leather is very muted and bland. I switched to Cole Haan cap toe oxfords...leather sole, shiny leather, same as my Magli's.

meauounji

Reaction score
JR88, I suppose you're right about the relativity of quality, so let me put it this way.

How are Bruno Magli's compared to other shoes that can be gotten (forget retail, that number means squate nowadays) at the same price range? The range being $120-$160.

Oh, the purpose of these shoes would be for business dress or sharp biz casual.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meauounji
How are Bruno Magli's compared to other shoes that can be gotten (forget retail, that number means squate nowadays) at the same price range? The range being $120-$160.
In this price range, it's OK to get Bruno Magli shoes.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
It's unfair, but I can't hear the name without thinking of OJ Simpson and his infamous Magli shoes.

Otherwise, unmemorable shoes...

Very unfair RJman,

The shoes you are thinking about were not his and neither was the glove
laugh.gif

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of BM shoes that I got very cheap off of eBay. (They were retired display models.) The leather is very soft, and while they're not my favorite shoes, they're perfectly fine. I wear them from time to time and am never unhappy with them.

phorm

Reaction score
I own a couple pairs of Bruno Maglis, one with a rubber sole. The rubber sole is very comfortable and great for when it's raining out. The leather isn't as nice as my Ferragamos, Zegnas or C&J's, but the shoes are sharp looking, comfortable and I don't mind wearing them when the weather is awful. I also have a couple pairs of Cole Haans with a partial rubber sole. Again, they aren't as nice as some other shoes (which also cost almost double), but I like them.

I think that the quality range on Bruno Maglis is quite varied, so you should be careful in evaluating the specific shoe. I'm pretty sure that one of shoes is corrected grain and I'm not liking the way it is creasing/aging. The other pair is great so far. But I paid a steep discount for them, so I consider them almost disposable.

Almighty2

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this one but I thought the regular Bruno Magli's were not that great but it was the Bruno Magli Platinum collection that was supposed to be good except it's expensive and it does have leather soles.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I have a pair from the "platinum" line (I think that's what it's called) that I like a lot. To my untrained eye (and foot) they seem to be solidly constructed. I previously owned a pair from their regular line, which were blah (but, for whatever it's worth, would draw compliments from women).

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a few pairs of BM (mainline) years ago (pre SF era). Back then, their shoes looked decent, were not really fashion forward as they are now. Quality wise, they were vary by a big margin based on my own experiences. A couple pairs did have nice leather and held up well, while others did not do too well and were made with cheap leather. Have not bought any since the last 5-6 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads