• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brunello sneakers

Knurt

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Brunello sneakers at a big discount (40 %). But they are still very expensive, and I am not sure this is a good deal. They do not look particularly better than high-end sneakers from other producers. I bought them for two reasons. They fit my wide feet. When I tried another pair from Brunello on, they felt like solid shoes given me more more support than I am accustomed to from sneakers. So I plunged. Time will tell if I made a good decision, but here are some questions for you: 1) What do you think of Brunello sneakers in particular and sneakers in general when compared to ordinary shoes? Is there a continuum between cheap and simple sneakers and decent hand crafted shoes where we can fit these sneakers like Brunellos in? 2) If we are to think about our casual dressing as seriously as our suitings, what sneakers - if any - should we buy? What should we buy?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sure they're fine, but I think you'd be better off with a pair of Common Projects or something.

Something about those luxury Italian brand sneakers (e.g. Kiton, Berluti, Cucinelli, etc) feels really square to me. Just feels like something a rich guy on a yacht would buy.

If you don't want Common Projects, there a ton of other labels for minimalist sneakers. Buttero, Superga, Gustin, etc. There are a million options nowadays.

Knurt

Reaction score
My feet are too wide for Common Projects, I can tell you. Not sure if you by «square Italian sneakers» referred to their actual shape, but having room for my wide feet is a serious consideration. But I am asking for advice!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My feet are too wide for Common Projects, I can tell you. Not sure if you by «square Italian sneakers» referred to their actual shape, but having room for my wide feet is a serious consideration. But I am asking for advice!

By square, I mean not cool.

If they fit you, I'm sure they're fine. White minimalist sneakers mostly look the same. I think the obsessions with quality are mostly overblown. They're sneakers and meant to be casual, so let them look casual.

Regarding the style, white minimalist sneakers mostly go with anything. Creating a casual wardrobe that accompanies a tailored CM wardrobe, however, can take a bit of thought and consideration. Kind of a big topic. I would start with just saving photos of looks you like. Shoes depend on the look you're trying to create.

Knurt

Reaction score
They are probably square in the non-cool meaning because they are made for people looking for comfort - above a certain age and a certain income threshold.

Buying shoes is for me the most difficult thing about dressing because of my feet.

rwtc

Reaction score
I have both Common Projects and Brunello Cucinelli sneakers. In my opinion, the leather is better on the BC. I find BC sneakers generally use finer materials for sneakers. There is of course diminishing marginal returns. So at the end of the day, it depends on which design you like the best. However, generally I like the design on BC sneakers and do not think they look "square". Each to their own.

Buy whatever sneakers that you like the design of and that makes you happy. Anything will do except for those Kiton mesh running shoes, which resemble those Adidas Boost mesh shoes...

I see wardrobe stylists advise that Kiton sneakers look "sooooo classy" to clients... but it's just a running shoe with a white sole with Kiton branded on the tongue. No thanks.

I have a lot of BC so PM me if you have any questions.

Knurt

Reaction score
I have both Common Projects and Brunello Cucinelli sneakers. In my opinion, the leather is better on the BC. I find BC sneakers generally use finer materials for sneakers. There is of course diminishing marginal returns. So at the end of the day, it depends on which design you like the best. However, generally I like the design on BC sneakers and do not think they look "square". Each to their own.

Buy whatever sneakers that you like the design of and that makes you happy. Anything will do except for those Kiton mesh running shoes, which resemble those Adidas Boost mesh shoes...

I see wardrobe stylists advise that Kiton sneakers look "sooooo classy" to clients... but it's just a running shoe with a white sole with Kiton branded on the tongue. No thanks.

I have a lot of BC so PM me if you have any questions.

I like that reply, of course, with my investment. You did not comment on comfort, which is a big issue for me. I guess comfort may also be a consequence of quality.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have an issue with simple sneakers worn casually.

At 40% off, they’re not exactly a bargain. Too, sneakers are really not their core competency. If you like them, then so be it; it’s only money.

Knurt

Reaction score
I don’t have an issue with simple sneakers worn casually.

At 40% off, they’re not exactly a bargain. Too, sneakers are really not their core competency. If you like them, then so be it; it’s only money.

I bought them partly bevause they felt more solid and supportive than other sneakers. I may be wrong in this assumption.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom ford or lanvin make decent basic sneakers as well. I would buy them on sale.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like his stuff, but his prices are egregious...
He does apparently afford a whole town to enjoy a nice quality of life, so buying Cucinelli could be seen as charitable.
If I was able to write it off @ 100%, I'd be in.

rwtc

Reaction score
I wonder how they manage to procure all these items substantially below retail... They're also earning a margin as well as paying eBay & PayPal fees, so it makes you think how low they managed to procure it for.

haloitsme

Reaction score
I wonder how they manage to procure all these items substantially below retail... They're also earning a margin as well as paying eBay & PayPal fees, so it makes you think how low they managed to procure it for.
Old stock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads