• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, everything that I clicked on is fake and poorly done.

Loro Piana takes the time to space out "Made in Italy"

View attachment 1420945

Brunello Cucinelli SPA, and no idea why they'd put their VAT number. It's also "SOLOMEI" and not "SOLOMEL":

View attachment 1420947

These happen to have the same tags, in the same goofy fonts, with the same (fake) hologram tags. Also, what is "Super Fiber"? Kiton's using nanowire in great abundance these days.

View attachment 1420954
View attachment 1420956

I know Loro Piana well and that tag is definitely sloppy. The BC would have fooled me.

I’m no Kiton expert, but the garments I’ve seen, even the inner tags with the fabric content use the red dot over the “I”.

rwtc

Reaction score
The BC and Kiton fabric tags look nothing like the legitimate tags. The tags for the BC are all wrong. The Kiton enamel buttons are quite convincing, but I can tell it's fake, albeit it took a while to figure out (not going to say what it is, in case the counterfeiter is reading this thread). The Kiton pants are also quite convincing, but still have several details wrong (which again, I am not going to state, in case the counterfeiter is reading).

Last edited:

notdos

Reaction score
Again, please post in the thread that already exists for Real/Fake.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BC and Kiton fabric tags look nothing like the legitimate tags. The tags for the BC are all wrong. The Kiton enamel buttons are quite convincing, but I can tell it's fake, albeit it took a while to figure out (not going to say what it is, in case the counterfeiter is reading this thread). The Kiton pants are also quite convincing, but still have several details wrong (which again, I am not going to state, in case the counterfeiter is reading).

There's something else about the BC that also caught my eye that makes me suspicious. Like you, I won't say it but if you're interested in what I observed, feel free to PM me.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but those holographs and whatnot reminded me of my quest to obtain an authentic Coach wallet a decade or two ago. There were many eBay sellers selling the wallet I wanted and included all the certificates of authenticity and all the bells and whistles. I was still not convinced so I decided to bite the bullet and go into to the Coach store in Manhattan, pay the full price and at least know that I got the real deal. So I bought the wallet, and guess what, it did not include any of those letters and boxes. None of it. They gave me the wallet in some nice paper and that was it.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it’s genuine but the X on the tag indicates that it was returned due to some defect. What that defect may be I don’t know. The embroidered polo looks pretty clean.

You are on the right track with this and I would like to flesh out the matter of marked labels a bit more.

A marked label may be marked for various reasons, but the most likely is to prevent it from being returned to a store for a refund or store credit. It may be second quality or it may be first quality. I buy quite a lot of clothing items directly from Brooks Brothers. Some firsts and some seconds, but all marked to prevent abuse of their return system.

And here is something that never seems to occur to people: A marked label item is unlikely to be a counterfeit. Why? Because if it had been intercepted by those whose job it is to enforce laws against counterfeits it would have been confiscated and destroyed, not marked with an X. OTOH, if it has not been confiscated then who would devalue it by putting a mark on the label? Granted, a seller of counterfeits could mark through labels and use the explanation that I have given, but that would require some next-level thinking.

TLDR: A marked label means one thing for certain, there is a mark on the label. It does not necessarily mean second quality or return. A marked label item is probably genuine.

Last edited:

TheOne11

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is this authentic Giorgio?

Attachments

• s-l400 (20).jpg
    s-l400 (20).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 13
  • s-l400 (19).jpg
    s-l400 (19).jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 12
  • s-l400 (18).jpg
    s-l400 (18).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 9
  • s-l400 (15).jpg
    s-l400 (15).jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 10
  • s-l400 (14).jpg
    s-l400 (14).jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 11
  • s-l400 (17).jpg
    s-l400 (17).jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 54
  • s-l400 (16).jpg
    s-l400 (16).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 57

kekeke77

Reaction score
Can anyone to help me checking this burberry shearling jacket? thanks
IMG_1170.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 10923723-5_1.jpg
    10923723-5_1.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 56

JChong8

Reaction score
I was thinking this Burberry Brit polo had most of the signs of authenticity but I’m wondering if the Knight logo is off? Overall the construction on it seems correct.

C2DF8062-458F-4E22-903A-536DBE3D09BB.jpeg
F30DA1E9-307C-4527-A105-3F135A521710.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads