• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brunello Cucinelli

CodeRed

Reaction score
Can you enlighten me about this brand? I realize that it is very expensive and highly regarded. I did a search and was surprised that not very much came up. I have started to watch certain items on eBay, but I would like a better understanding of the entity. Best sources? Thx.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a highly quality brand of men's and women's clothing made in Italy. It became famous for it's fine cashmere but has since expanded into a full line of apparel. You can find a nice selection of the clothing at most Saks, Neiman's, Bergdorf and better specialty stores. There are also a few BC retail stores in the US including one in Greenwich Village in NYC. Their own stores have more accessories like silk or cashmere scarfs, cotton pocket squares, leather suitcases and hats.

Brunello Cucinelli is a visionary businessman who incorporates philosophy, beauty, history, fashion, culture and style into his company. Based in an ancient village in Italy, much of the work is done by local workers.

They put out a very nice men's and women's catalog for fall/winter and spring/summer. You can find much of it online. Many retailers give away the small catalog. I got one the other day at Saks in San Francisco.

The styles tend to be trim but not skinny or fitted. The colors for the last few seasons have been neutrals (khaki, gray, toast, cream) mixed with navy and accented with more lively contrasting colors like strawberry, heather green and recently purple for fall '08.

My guess is that some of the items you see on eBay come from the Italian outlet stores although there are some that come from the retailers listed above after markdowns.

I like BC clothing although I find the cut of the jackets to vary a lot and to run short. I only know of one store in the US that carry longs. I buy at least one sweater every year and have several pairs of their khakis and wool pants.

Some of the details, such as cargo pockets or knee patches on khakis, you either love or hate. I think they are sometimes fun. I also like how many of the jackets come with suede patches and ivory buttons. I think it adds a sporty look that is more relaxed than a Brass Button Blue Blazer. They also show a lot of their clothes paired with tan suede brogues and bucks. That is a look I personally enjoy.

I have also heard that designer Michael Bastian uses them to manufacture all of his clothing. The fit and material is all very similar so I imagine that is true.

CodeRed

Reaction score
That was very insightful and just what I was hopng for, so thank you! It does seem that they do tend to have a nice line in leather.

Material Boy

Reaction score
Grab them fast while they are still available. I've seen some of Cucinelli's Fall 2008 collection already and they are about 25% higher in price than the ones from Spring.

Some brands that are very similiar to BC: Loro Piana, Avon Celli and Malo.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Material Boy
Grab them fast while they are still available. I've seen some of Cucinelli's Fall 2008 collection already and they are about 25% higher in price than the ones from Spring.

Some brands that are very similiar to BC: Loro Piana, Avon Celli and Malo.

With the high Euro you are seeing that with lots of apparel from Europe.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think of Cucinellis as the rustic version of Loro Piana.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I think of Cucinellis as the rustic version of Loro Piana.

Also BC's cut is slimmer than LP. Maybe when I stop cycling..

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Would you guys consider Paul & Shark to be in the same elite group as BC?
- no.. P&S is more like an up-market Polo.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another good point to make is that BC creates all of Michael Bastian's line in BC factories using BC materials. If you want the quality without the frump, Michael Bastian has quite a few nice offerings, but of course, you pay for it.

Rumor has it that Bastian will be leaving the partnership with BC in the future and try to push down market a bit, so get it while you can.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Two cheaper sources are the SF favorites virtualclotheshorse.com and shopthefinest.com.

I have several sweaters, a shirt, one corduroy suit, one corduroy jacket and a tweed car coat, which I have acquired from Bergdorf Goodman, the BC store in New York and from on-line sellers (above).

I'll say that I certainly like the style -- rustic, sophisticated, a little nappy. It screams out "Tuscan Hill Town!" or perhaps "Summer on Amalfi Coast", and who doesn't like that?

I think the sweaters are great, and the cashmere or wool easily compares to Loro Piana or Columbo. Perhaps not worth the money, but quite nice.

However, the tailored stuff is actually pretty mediocre quality, and terribly over-priced. There's generally no hand-work on it and often uses some inexpensive materials (e.g., cotton or nylon linings or plastic buttons). I think the cut is sometimes quite nice, but is often times kind of boring and baggy. I have had a lot of variability in the quality -- seams coming open, stitching falling out -- and would compare it to a much lower-priced tailored line.

Frankly, I think a mid-priced line like Cantarelli or Boglioli is much better for the tailored stuff, and believe the workmanship to not be much above something like J.Crew, as sacriligeous as that sounds. If I pay the price for BC, I want a quality more in line with Borrelli; if we're talking Italian clothing with an Italian style and European price point, I think Borrelli is a good comparison. Generally, I find Borrelli to be superior, although have had some quality issues with their tailored stuff too.

That being said, there was an article comparing Cucinelli and something like Gap from the Wall Street Journal on SF or AAAC not long ago. It pointed out that the very high price for BC clothing did things like paid for a livable wage and health care for the workers, as opposed to what a low price for a Chinese maker pays for its labor. If you believe in that kind of stuff, then the BC premium is also justified that way, I suppose.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Would you guys consider Paul & Shark to be in the same elite group as BC?

Does P&S even make cashmere?

Its possible that cotton for cotton we are talking a similar quality (although I would be surprised) but they just tend to make very different garments...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
That being said, there was an article comparing Cucinelli and something like Gap from the Wall Street Journal on SF or AAAC not long ago. It pointed out that the very high price for BC clothing did things like paid for a livable wage and health care for the workers, as opposed to what a low price for a Chinese maker pays for its labor. If you believe in that kind of stuff, then the BC premium is also justified that way, I suppose.

A good article, and it really defined what BC is: luxury goods. You pay a significant premium for excellent materials and their design, which I think is generally very nice. It's a premium I haven't been willing to pay, but I've also never found the right bargain in my size.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One certainly pays a hefty premium for the BC name, the rustic image, and perhaps for the livable wages paid to their workers.

The Cucinelli shirts I've examined have certainly not merit the asking price. Worksmanship was OK at best.

Cucinelli cashmere is like any of the high price Italian lines, OK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads