• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brunello Cucinelli on the BBC

HHD

Reaction score
A short BBC news item on his factory and business philosophy

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8321746.stm

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice video. I like that guy.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump! From GQ.com

Brunello Unbottoned

I headed to Saks last night to raise a glass with cashmere baron Brunello Cucinelli, whose namesake knitwear is among the finest in the world. Cucinelli’s in town for the week to check on the American side of the business, but last night’s event wasn’t about sales (which, for the record, are up); it was to toast the Henry Street Settlement, a Lower East Side nonprofit he supports.

And that toasting, of course, was done in style: Cucinelli wore loose, country-casual gray flannel pants, a peak-lapelled jacket, a cardigan, and a matching wool tie. Even at his own party, the guy looked like a comfortable aristocrat dressed down for dinner. Other guests dressed more formally—the Italian Consul rocked a tux—but Cucinelli’s relaxed look stuck with me. And when we had a few minutes to talk (ably assisted by his glamorous publicist, since he doesn’t speak much English), I noticed a little flourish that topped it all off: The collar buttons on his button-down shirt were defiantly unfastened. It looked a little louche but not showy, textbook sprezzatura—Italian, basically, for "stylish nonchalance." (His countrymen have been practicing it since at least the 16th century, when Castiglione coined the term.)

“It is a bit of an Italian touch,” he told me. “I’ve always worn button-downs, and always open.” Noted. Can an American guy pull it off? “Yes! I hope you’ll start doing it too—I would be so happy if I saw an American wearing a shirt like this,” he said. The interplay of American and U.S. traditions struck a chord. “It’s my culture, and I want to spread my style. I want to buy an iPhone from an American, and I want you, to come and buy a suit from me, an Italian.” That’s a trade agreement we’d endorse. But, no, there’s not yet an app for that.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Thankfully, he left the tampons at home this time.
cucinelli.jpg

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
neat bbc video and article. It's fall, so I'm especially in love with wool in all it's many and varied forms.

jon5986

Reaction score
Brunello seems a great guy. I love his jackets! Great Video as well.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump for good content.

Not much business information in this short video, but still nice to see. I have to wait yet another day for my package with a BC sweater to show up. Tomorrow...!

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the vid. Nice to get an inside look at the castle and the man himself. He strikes me as being a true romantic/idealist - making his dreams a reality. Kudos to Brunello - his clothing is fantastic! I hope to make it out there some time for a visit!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads