Brunch - New York City

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by JSC437, Oct 22, 2010.

1. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it.

2. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I remember the days when Freemans was good...One of the best brunches I've experienced.

3. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I remember the days when Freemans was good...One of the best brunches I've experienced.

Freemans has to be the most stable kitchen in NYC. Same menu as always, putting out the same food. Surprised by your comment. I go there regularly as one of my neighborhood spots and haven't noticed any change.

5. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Went there about a year ago with Mauro, Whodini, and Fok and we all loved it. About two months afterwards Mauro and myself returned and were pretty disappointed because they were missing many items on the menu, could not make certain cocktails, and the food was pretty blah. We had given them a couple of chances afterwards but continued to be disappointed.

Maybe we just have bad luck? I had such a good experience the first time I would be willing to give them another shot.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Went there about a year ago with Mauro, Whodini, and Fok and we all loved it. About two months afterwards Mauro and myself returned and were pretty disappointed because they were missing many items on the menu, could not make certain cocktails, and the food was pretty blah. We had given them a couple of chances afterwards but continued to be disappointed.

Maybe we just have bad luck? I had such a good experience the first time I would be willing to give them another shot.

Interesting. Bad luck three times in a row is pretty bad - certainly enough to give up on a spot. I've never had back luck there. always seem to order the same stuff and it always tastes the same (devils on horseback, artichoke dip, banana foster...) - it's comfort food IMO, not very inspired cuisine but it hits the spot.

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Comfort food is exactly what I look for in brunch, and Freemans nailed it. I really liked the Chipped Beef and skillet eggs. Once when we had gone there the host told us we should go to the Vinegar Hill House in Dumbo instead because the chef had left Freemans and started her own restaurant and it was "better." That was pretty surprising.

8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I second that on the comfort food. Here are a few options:

Freemans -- good spot, at least when I've gone.
    Mesa Grill -- Bobby Flay's place. Brunch is actually pretty affordable
    Essex -- never had a bad brunch there, though there's always a line
    Clinton Street Baking Company -- people are obsessed with their blueberry pancakes; also always a line
    Applewood (Park Slope) -- great food; had a rabbit omelet there that was amazing
    Egg (Williamsburg) -- they glaze their bacon, 'nuff said
    La Esquina -- best chilaquiles I've had, though you could easily split them with someone else
    Cafe Mogador -- great Moroccan spot and my favorite eggs florentine anywhere (good tea as well)

9. v.freeman

v.freeman Senior member

Cafe Mogodor is solid. Essex is good too, but expect huge lines.

10. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

Pastis: Food is good, atmosphere can be hit or miss depending on your taste, prices are $2-3 above average per plate due to the LW12th locale

+1 to Pastis

I'd also add The Little Owl in the Village, pretty much hit one or the other every time I'm in NYC for the weekend.

11. lilcram

lilcram Senior member

Stanton Social - expensive & tiny portions but very tasty. Highly recommend the french onion soup dumplings...mmmmmmm

12. gnowad

gnowad Member

weekend brunch in NYC makes me [​IMG]

Extra Virgin - get the french toast
    Prune - Dutch pancake
    Le Barricou (Williamsburg) - pain au chocolat baskets mmmm

13. windrunner

windrunner Senior member

Hearitly recommend Public in NoLiTa

14. lim's

lim's Active Member

I second that on the comfort food. Here are a few options:

Freemans -- good spot, at least when I've gone.
    Mesa Grill -- Bobby Flay's place. Brunch is actually pretty affordableEssex -- never had a bad brunch there, though there's always a line
    Clinton Street Baking Company -- people are obsessed with their blueberry pancakes; also always a line
    Applewood (Park Slope) -- great food; had a rabbit omelet there that was amazing
    Egg (Williamsburg) -- they glaze their bacon, 'nuff said
    La Esquina -- best chilaquiles I've had, though you could easily split them with someone else
    Cafe Mogador -- great Moroccan spot and my favorite eggs florentine anywhere (good tea as well)

I would vote against Mesa Grill. Total tourist trap. Food was good about ten years ago. It's not the same anymore. Flay is grossly overrated as are his restaurants.

15. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I get the impression that's the conventional wisdom these days. People think he's overexposed and overrated. But I've never had anything but a great meal at Mesa. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been several times in the past year and the food has been consistently very good. It's not on par with some of the finer restaurants in NYC, but then it's not trying to be. It's a casual, comfortable place that falls somewhere between your average NYC restaurant (La Esquina or some place like that) and a high-end dining experience. Maybe if you're going all out for dinner I would say save the cash and go to Le Bernardin, but for lunch or brunch it's definitely worth it. Given a choice between Mesa and peers like Rosa Mexicano or Dos Caminos, I'll usually choose Mesa.

I would vote against Mesa Grill. Total tourist trap. Food was good about ten years ago. It's not the same anymore. Flay is grossly overrated as are his restaurants.