• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Browser

shimmyt

Reaction score
Chrome -> Firefox -> IE on my PC
Chrome -> Safari -> Firefox on my Mac

Big fan of chrome, although I keep trying to get back into Opera I just cant do it lol.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firefox, because it's relatively secured, frequently updated, and I can completely customize it to my likings.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocmanCC
What exactly about the newest Opera do you not like?

It was a ***** to configure but I managed to get the layout back to how I've had it for years. Surely getting used to a new browser would be more time consuming.

Consensus=Chrome.

BTW I'm running Vista and Open Office.

slappy

Reaction score
Chrome is the best. Firefox's design is ancient, meaning the structure of it. Even IE has a more up to date underlying structure than Firefox, though Mozilla claims that it will have Firefox become more modern shortly.

The main thing I like about Chrome is the search box. You can assign different search engines to a letter or name. For instance in URL window I would type "w fish" and it would search wikipedia for fish. I told Chrome that w means wikipedia. Likewise I can do "e fish" (ebay fish), "p fish" (piratebay fish) and etc... The nice thing is that Chrome figues out how to do this, it will give you a list of possible search engines. So I didnt need to find out the specific URL that amazon uses for its search function, Chrome does it for me and I will merely assign Amazon to the letter 'a'. That feature alone is probably the single greatest change in browser design Ive seen in a long while.

I believe you can do this in Opera which I also like and is just as fast as Chrome in browsing. Using Firefox now just feels so slow, I have to type in 'wikipedia', go to the site, then type in fish. Or use that stupid bar next to the URL bar for searching. And if I want to change the search engine in that bar I have to manually click it and pick a different engine.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ what are you talking about? Anything you type in the URL bar in Firefox goes to google unless you type in a common site (e.g. amazon), in which case it goes directly to it.

I type in "wiki xyz" all the time in the URL bar and it takes me straight there. Same with "imdb" or "amazon". Sure, the "w" or "a" is a cool contraction that chrome uses, but it's not like the URL bar in Firefox isn't super dynamic as well.

Only problem I have with Firefox is that it can become a resource hog at times.

slappy

Reaction score
Ah Ill have to try Firefox out again. I havent used it in a long while, thanks for the heads up

slappy

Reaction score
Alright I checked it out. It's not really the same thing. So if I type in amazon fish it will perform as you mentioned. But if I type in cnet fish, it wont search cnet for fish. So wheres the control over this feature? Can you manually have it recognize cnet for searching? I havent tried it on many other websites, but is there some way to define this?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Alright I checked it out. It's not really the same thing. So if I type in amazon fish it will perform as you mentioned. But if I type in cnet fish, it wont search cnet for fish. So wheres the control over this feature? Can you manually have it recognize cnet for searching? I havent tried it on many other websites, but is there some way to define this?

I don't really need that functionality, but perhaps there is an add-on for it. There's an add-on for everything.

I would try Chrome if someone could give me real reasons to try it.

slappy

Reaction score
That's such a huge functionality to me. Try piratebay for me, Im at work and dont want to check it out.

As for reasons how about the fact that its massively faster, more lightweight, more secure, much better design in that each tab is its own process, and the interface is more clean.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
That's such a huge functionality to me. Try piratebay for me, Im at work and dont want to check it out.

As for reasons how about the fact that its massively faster, more lightweight, more secure, much better design in that each tab is its own process, and the interface is more clean.

It autosearches piratebay.

slappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It autosearches piratebay.

Ah, that's fair enough then. As long as it can handle my main sites Id be cool with it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads