• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Browser question for a techie?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Help out an oldtimer with a computer question.

I seem to remember that someone once mentioned a browser whereby you could copy and paste pictures! It might have been a program, but I thought it was a browser.

I'm well aware of photobucket and imageshack, but they seem very slow. Now if I want to post something to the forum, I either take a picture and download it to photobucket and then upload it to the Forum. Very, very slow!

And if I want to post a picture from a website or Ebay listing, I download the picture to my Desktop, then to photobucket, and then to the Forum. Theremust be a better way!

Any help appreciated!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I do it the same way. I'm sure there's a faster way, but I'm too lazy to figure it out. I think Imageshack has a toolbar that might make it faster... you can check that out at www.imageshack.us

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a tedious process to post a decent photo in the fora. I capture the image from the source for a file in PhotoShop. Then I complete general correction, manipulation, and composition in the PhotoShop file in order to ready the image for upload to PhotoBucket and on to its final destination. Whew, I await the simple solution!!

I prefer PhotoBucket to ImageShack.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flickr rules them all.

There is really no easier way to do it. The internets are complicated like that.

WN2

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but the Opera browser lets you to drag 'n drop images from the websites to forms or to desktop. Doesn't work with other programs though, but saves you the work of separately downloading a picture to desktop.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but the Opera browser lets you to drag 'n drop images from the websites to forms or to desktop. Doesn't work with other programs though, but saves you the work of separately downloading a picture to desktop.

Thanks,
That helps. I see the value of saving one of the steps, What about the opera browser? Is it worthwhile? Are there compatibility issues with websites and programs?

Is there anyone out there that is very familiar with opera, and/or uses it as their primary browser?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh

And if I want to post a picture from a website or Ebay listing, I download the picture to my Desktop, then to photobucket, and then to the Forum. Theremust be a better way!

Any help appreciated!

I am on a Mac but think this should work on a PC also...I think.

You can avoid downloading to the desktop. If you find the image on the internet, you can right-click and "copy image location". Then, when you post on the forum you can hit the little icon for "Insert Image" (a mountain). Then you just past the image location. The picture will show up in your post.

logo1.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I am on a Mac but think this should work on a PC also...I think.

You can avoid downloading to the desktop. If you find the image on the internet, you can right-click and "copy image location". Then, when you post on the forum you can hit the little icon for "Insert Image" (a mountain). Then you just past the image location. The picture will show up in your post.

logo1.gif

mymy_grd_1.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mymy_grd_1.jpg

Hey,
Thanks it took a little tweaking with Windows XP, but I was able to post the little dog picture above, straight from a webpage! No downloading or uploading. I'm going to try another picture below:

200px-Kiton.JPG

It should be the Kiton logo from the Wikipedia entry!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another test trying to post a picture from My Pictures Folder on my computer direct to this post. No uploading and downloading with a photo hosting site like PhotoBucket:

Should be a picture of a wallet!

Didn't work!

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the picture is already on your computer you should use the icon that looks like a paperclip instead of the mountain one.

Then, hit the "browse" button to find the file in your "my pictures" file. Then, hit the upload button.

But I think there is a size restriction so it is only good for small-ish photos.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
If the picture is already on your computer you should use the icon that looks like a paperclip instead of the mountain one.

Then, hit the "browse" button to find the file in your "my pictures" file. Then, hit the upload button.

But I think there is a size restriction so it is only good for small-ish photos.

Attachment 2350

You are right it worked with the paper clip attachment (I uploaded the above small photo) but there was a file size limitation.

Thanks a lot!

WN2

Reaction score
Thanks,
That helps. I see the value of saving one of the steps, What about the opera browser? Is it worthwhile? Are there compatibility issues with websites and programs?

Is there anyone out there that is very familiar with opera, and/or uses it as their primary browser?

I do. I think it is great, way better than IE and also above Firefox, which has most of its better features copied from Opera anyway. There are very few website issues but they do exist. I know a message board or two that have had problems with Opera (SF is not one of them).

Gladhatter

Reaction score
You can simply right click the image on the internet and choose properties and then copy and paste the url to that image in the "insert image" icon dialog box when open. From there you have complete it.

I have just copied the image from the fedora below and am going to now paste it here:
fedora.gif

You should see the image in this post with no down load or up load at all.

If you want to transfer such images to an image hosting you can do that as well with out downloading them but instead just pasting the url to the image in the hosting browse dialog box and it will grab it from your temp inet folder. It actually dl
dl's it to there but without your intersession and uploads it as well.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads