• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown wingtips

marc37

Reaction score
l never knew Grenson made bespoke shoes.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gr8 looking shoes. l love the double sole and the revealed stitching on top of the sole.

l like my wingtips to be sturdy as well. Good choice.
Gr8 looking shoes. l love the double sole and the revealed stitching on top of the sole.

l like my wingtips to be sturdy as well. Good choice.
++++++++++++

I'm sorry to disagree with one of my favorite shoe experts.

A shoe does not have to look like a truck in order to carry some "decoration." Why is it necessary to advertise a substantial sole? The artfulness in shoes is to hide the capabilities while providing a beautiful and stylishl product.

Those Aldens are as substantial as tanks - and advertise it. I just dont care for the wider sole - and it is unnecessary for the shoe to perform its function.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got an Alden like Kai pictured, save it's in black cordo.  Like it a lot.

I also have a C&J something like what Linux Pro 1st posted from Pediwear site.

YOu couldn't go wrong, LP, with a pair of sturdy (as opposed to "clunky" -- and adjective I first employed toward Aldens) wingtips in Seattle, now, could you?

Edit:

just saw the post above on why "advertise" the shoo being substantial. I say, in the case of the wingtip, because it's origins are stout shoe of sport for weather. Now while the style of shoo has been gentrified, it's aesthetically pleasing to see some of its neotonistic characteristics revealed. (convincing?). Plus the shoe looks great with heavy flannels and whipcords and calv. twill and tweed and whanot.

Horace (the Rubber Sole Man)

linux_pro

Reaction score
Durability (sturdiness) will be of pretty high importance to me, because the climate here is rather crappy, it rains all the time.

I'm torn between a pair of Aldens, C&J's, Marteganis or Gravatis. I feel stuck. Ugh.

I was at plal.com, and looking at the C&J's. I liked both the Cardiff, Clifford and Finsbury. Tough choice. I have no idea what separates them, or which would be better, or how they might fit. I hate buying shoes online, but here in Seattle we have very little selection.

Are open-lace better than close-lace?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Durability (sturdiness) will be of pretty high importance to me, because the climate here is rather crappy, it rains all the time.

I'm torn between a pair of Aldens, C&J's, Marteganis or Gravatis.  I feel stuck.  Ugh.

I was at plal.com, and looking at the C&J's.  I liked both the Cardiff, Clifford and Finsbury.  Tough choice.  I have no idea what separates them, or which would be better, or how they might fit.  I hate buying shoes online, but here in Seattle we have very little selection.

Are open-lace better than close-lace?
Not sure of terms, open and closed laces?

Sort of like derby and balmoral? If so, I like the open for wingtips that you showed us, and the closed for something like a captoe black Brooks Brooks Peal dresss shoe.

I know that there were several discussions about this previously, and Old Manton and others made some helpful observations and suggestions.

marc37

Reaction score
Horace (the Rubber Sole Man)
Only a true shooman wears welted leather sole shoos only.
biggrin.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Not sure of terms, open and closed laces?

Sort of like derby and balmoral?  If so, I like the open for wingtips that you showed us, and the closed for something like a captoe black Brooks Brooks Peal dresss shoe.
Yes, in Kai's post above the Aldens have open lacing and the Vass have closed lacing. In an earlier thread Manton maintained that shoes with open lacing are inappropriate with a suit. (But I'm not convinced. Shhhh...)

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Horace @ Mar. 06 2005,04:02) Not sure of terms, open and closed laces? Sort of like derby and balmoral? Â If so, I like the open for wingtips that you showed us, and the closed for something like a captoe black Brooks Brooks Peal dresss shoe.
Yes, in Kai's post above the Aldens have open lacing and the Vass have closed lacing. In an earlier thread Manton maintained that shoes with open lacing are inappropriate with a suit. (But I'm not convinced. Shhhh...)
Neither am I Alan, but I like the rule, can adduce some reason for it, and would like to follow it, despite not doings so.

Lord Foppington

Reaction score
I love the stout, or clunky, or big-boned, or substantial look of the Alden too, and like the blucher look. If a wingtip starts to get too sleek or refined, I feel like a mincing capon.

But then I'm not a businessman and don't wear suits in the daytime.

arenn1

Reaction score
Kai, that Alden long wing is spectacular. I've seen it in in their normal colors, but not in the whiskey. Impressive. I assume the "Alden Fan" collection is exclusive to Alden of Carmel? It sometimes seems like a majority of the shoes Alden sells are some type of "only available behind the counter" specials that aren't in the catalog. It's almost like trying to score an illegal substance to find out about them. Does anyone actually have a definitive list of all the shoes Alden makes? There are a number of great shoes I wish they would make more generally available. How can you call yourself a "bootmaker" if there aren't even any boots listed in your catalog, for example? (It would also be extremely helpful if they included a price list).

BTW: I just special ordered some Alden accessories and the sales person told me that there is a new catalog due out "any day". It was supposed to be out before Christmas but there were a number of delays.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got an Alden catalogue in yesterday's mail, from Alden of Carmel, and it does not include their "fan" shoes or boots. Only the regular lines. Don't know where to get a comprehensive list.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Horace @ Mar. 05 2005,22:28) Horace (the Rubber Sole Man)
Only a true shooman wears welted leather sole shoos only.
biggrin.gif

Shooman, If I have anything to do with it, my loftiest ambition will be to displace you from the heights of Shoodom. Your thoughts on the commando sole in rubber whichis placed upon a leather welted sole? Horace The Rubbur Sole Man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads