• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown wingtips

linux_pro

Reaction score
Need a good pair of brown wingtips, but unsure of which type to get and in what color. I like this pair: http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane2_966.htm Should I get a burnished tan such as these, or a darker brown? Which would be more useful? Should I pick up a pair of Aldens, or is there some other brand that others prefer? Or should I get a plain-toe balmoral instead, some of which have beautiful antiqued leather, such as the Gravatis like this from Rider: http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=86868 I'm stuck. Help.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you looked at some plain wingtips? naturlaut posted pics of the bonora store in rome and you can see some there.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Cardiff?  The Aldens look kinda clunky.

Dan
i agree. if you ever buy aldens, make sure they're on the 'plaza' last.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I found these: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=365 They look nice, but they're a dark brown. Â I'm not sure whether to go with a dark brown or more of a burnished tan. Â Which would be more useful? Â I'm looking for a brown that will become more beautiful and rich with time.
Those look clunky to me too - perhaps I just like more streamlined shoes than you. Â And that's an awful picture, really hard to get a good sense of the color. Â Have you checked out plal? Â http://www.plal.com Oh, and I think that a lighter brown, more burnished tan will be more versatile than a very dark brown. Dan

linux_pro

Reaction score
I love streamlined shoes, but am having a hard time finding any in brown. I am studying plal now. There are many shoes on the site.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I love streamlined shoes, but am having a hard time finding any in brown.  I am studying plal now.  There are many shoes on the site.
And they're super cheap. Remember, divide all those $M prices by 3.8 to get USD.

Dan

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Also, I don't know if you'll find a style such as your looking for, or even close to conservative enough to compare to what you are looking for, but Miu Miu shoes have some beautiful shapes to them.

Dan

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the Downings from C&J's handgrade line. Not sure if they are still available or not, but I bought them in antique tan and can tell you they are just stunning shoes and I am sure they would be just right for what you are seeking. I bought them from PLAL and swear by the site and the service. You really can't go wrong, and you will save more than $100 off of the Pediwear prices.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ordered just this pair in tan yesterday. Not universally applicable--- I'm thinking that they have a good future with tan tweed, yellow linen, and other borderline-casual combinations. To me, wingtips are best used as country or off-hour shoes. Folks wear them a lot with suits in Boston, but that makes them look like Bostonians.
smile.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I very much like Alden of Carmel's wingtip in their whiskey colored shell cordovan. Â (their "Masterworks Special Reserve" model)
AF21.jpg
As for Aldens being "clunky", Â well, I prefer my wingtips to have a bit of heft to them. Â These are substantial shoes, and I like the double soles and traditional look. http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Catalog/Fan/ If you really want a sleek wingtip, Vass can make a very nice wingtip on one of their newer lasts. Â I have this shoe in black calfskin, and like it a lot. Â
Vasswingtip.jpg

redtree00

Reaction score
You could ask RIDER to make you a special order dark brown wingtip on the 3B last, turnaround is very fast and the price can't be beat.

marc37

Reaction score
Gr8 looking shoes. l love the double sole and the revealed stitching on top of the sole. l like my wingtips to be sturdy as well. Good choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads