1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brown wingtips

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by linux_pro, Mar 5, 2005.

1. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

Need a good pair of brown wingtips, but unsure of which type to get and in what color. I like this pair: http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane2_966.htm Should I get a burnished tan such as these, or a darker brown? Which would be more useful? Should I pick up a pair of Aldens, or is there some other brand that others prefer? Or should I get a plain-toe balmoral instead, some of which have beautiful antiqued leather, such as the Gravatis like this from Rider: http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=86868 I'm stuck. Help.

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

have you looked at some plain wingtips? naturlaut posted pics of the bonora store in rome and you can see some there.

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

C&J Cardiff? The Aldens look kinda clunky.

Dan

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i agree. if you ever buy aldens, make sure they're on the 'plaza' last.

5. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I found these: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=365 They look nice, but they're a dark brown. I'm not sure whether to go with a dark brown or more of a burnished tan. Which would be more useful? I'm looking for a brown that will become more beautiful and rich with time.

6. amirrorcrackd

Those look clunky to me too - perhaps I just like more streamlined shoes than you. Â And that's an awful picture, really hard to get a good sense of the color. Â Have you checked out plal? Â http://www.plal.com Oh, and I think that a lighter brown, more burnished tan will be more versatile than a very dark brown. Dan

7. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I love streamlined shoes, but am having a hard time finding any in brown. I am studying plal now. There are many shoes on the site.

8. amirrorcrackd

And they're super cheap. Remember, divide all those $M prices by 3.8 to get USD.

Dan

9. amirrorcrackd

Also, I don't know if you'll find a style such as your looking for, or even close to conservative enough to compare to what you are looking for, but Miu Miu shoes have some beautiful shapes to them.

Dan

10. Stu

Stu Senior member

I have a pair of the Downings from C&J's handgrade line. Not sure if they are still available or not, but I bought them in antique tan and can tell you they are just stunning shoes and I am sure they would be just right for what you are seeking. I bought them from PLAL and swear by the site and the service. You really can't go wrong, and you will save more than $100 off of the Pediwear prices.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I ordered just this pair in tan yesterday. Not universally applicable--- I'm thinking that they have a good future with tan tweed, yellow linen, and other borderline-casual combinations. To me, wingtips are best used as country or off-hour shoes. Folks wear them a lot with suits in Boston, but that makes them look like Bostonians. [​IMG]

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

I think the Grenson Eton is a fine-looking shoe: http://www.shoeworld.co.uk/grenson/ So I'm waiting and hoping Chris will get a pair in my size. I haven't found the C&J Downing anywhere(?).

13. Kai

Kai Senior member

I very much like Alden of Carmel's wingtip in their whiskey colored shell cordovan. Â (their "Masterworks Special Reserve" model) [​IMG] As for Aldens being "clunky", Â well, I prefer my wingtips to have a bit of heft to them. Â These are substantial shoes, and I like the double soles and traditional look. http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Catalog/Fan/ If you really want a sleek wingtip, Vass can make a very nice wingtip on one of their newer lasts. Â I have this shoe in black calfskin, and like it a lot. Â [​IMG]

14. redtree00

redtree00 Senior member

You could ask RIDER to make you a special order dark brown wingtip on the 3B last, turnaround is very fast and the price can't be beat.

15. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Gr8 looking shoes. l love the double sole and the revealed stitching on top of the sole. l like my wingtips to be sturdy as well. Good choice.

16. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l never knew Grenson made bespoke shoes.

17. Charley

Charley Senior member

Gr8 looking shoes. l love the double sole and the revealed stitching on top of the sole.

l like my wingtips to be sturdy as well. Good choice.
    ++++++++++++

I'm sorry to disagree with one of my favorite shoe experts.

A shoe does not have to look like a truck in order to carry some "decoration." Why is it necessary to advertise a substantial sole? The artfulness in shoes is to hide the capabilities while providing a beautiful and stylishl product.

Those Aldens are as substantial as tanks - and advertise it. I just dont care for the wider sole - and it is unnecessary for the shoe to perform its function.

18. Horace

Horace Senior member

I've got an Alden like Kai pictured, save it's in black cordo.  Like it a lot.

I also have a C&J something like what Linux Pro 1st posted from Pediwear site.

YOu couldn't go wrong, LP, with a pair of sturdy (as opposed to "clunky" -- and adjective I first employed toward Aldens) wingtips in Seattle, now, could you?

Edit:

just saw the post above on why "advertise" the shoo being substantial. I say, in the case of the wingtip, because it's origins are stout shoe of sport for weather. Now while the style of shoo has been gentrified, it's aesthetically pleasing to see some of its neotonistic characteristics revealed. (convincing?). Plus the shoe looks great with heavy flannels and whipcords and calv. twill and tweed and whanot.

Horace (the Rubber Sole Man)

19. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

Durability (sturdiness) will be of pretty high importance to me, because the climate here is rather crappy, it rains all the time.

I'm torn between a pair of Aldens, C&J's, Marteganis or Gravatis. I feel stuck. Ugh.

I was at plal.com, and looking at the C&J's. I liked both the Cardiff, Clifford and Finsbury. Tough choice. I have no idea what separates them, or which would be better, or how they might fit. I hate buying shoes online, but here in Seattle we have very little selection.

Are open-lace better than close-lace?

20. Horace

Horace Senior member

Not sure of terms, open and closed laces?

Sort of like derby and balmoral? If so, I like the open for wingtips that you showed us, and the closed for something like a captoe black Brooks Brooks Peal dresss shoe.

I know that there were several discussions about this previously, and Old Manton and others made some helpful observations and suggestions.