• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brown vs handpainted patina bag?

QR93

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a Carl Friedrik Palissy bag. I love the look and style of it. I am looking to go for dark brown but cant decide between https://www.carlfriedrik.com/collections/painted-palissy-edition and the chocolate at https://www.carlfriedrik.com/products/palissy-briefcase-slim-leather-briefcase?variant=35918593616

I understand that the non painted will develop its own patina over time and has probably been dyed to achieve the universal colour.
What I am not sure with the painted one is whether it is just a coating, although I would suspect the company would have ensured a way for the patina effect to remain. I also am not sure how the handpainted patina version would develop over time.

I've asked my family and they all say the patina is much nicer and the other is boring so I am tempted to go with the handpainted patina but am keen to save money and go with the other one if it will develop a similar patina over time.

Not leather or bag savvy, would appreciate advice :)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you allow you own patina to develop, the thing will soon look used.

mintchox

Reaction score
Agree it's more fun / looks better to let it develop organically.

QR93

Reaction score
Thanks guys that's what I was thinking. I would be delighted if the patina would develop like the patinated version of the bag although I understand every bag will patinate uniquely. This is my first quality leather purchase hence me asking here :)

steveabdn

Reaction score
Would my patina develop just as nicely?
Not sure I consider the patina on the painted version that nice to be honest with you. Looks a little too deliberate on anything other than the blue version.

Your patina won't be as marked as that one, it will be much more subtle.

I do like the Berluti burnishing but even it feels a bit more organic than this

QR93

Reaction score
Not sure I consider the patina on the painted version that nice to be honest with you. Looks a little too deliberate on anything other than the blue version.

Your patina won't be as marked as that one, it will be much more subtle.

I do like the Berluti burnishing but even it feels a bit more organic than this
Just looked at the berluti bags and they do look more natural whilst this looks like it has actually been painted or manmade effect

I've gone for the regular chocolate orange in the end instead of tango brown

Hope it looks good when it comes:)

steveabdn

Reaction score
Even a Berluti is a very exaggerated patina, it's a little less artificial than the Carl Friedrik but still exaggerated.

I think you've made the right choice, I hope you enjoy the bag.

QR93

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Steve
Just noticed you may be from Aberdeen? and frequent Huntley here and there.
I left medical school there not too long ago! Hope the weather is nice up there.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some leathers patina more easily than others. Vachetta generally patinas very easily, sometimes more than I think I would want for a full leather briefcase, to be honest. When it gets wet, it stains. I have a Vachetta leather card case I love, but I don't know if I would want the material on a bag.

The painted stuff seems artificial to me, and carries certain "aspirational lifestyle" connotations I don't personally care for. But the dark brown one is certainly better than the orange one.

steveabdn

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Steve
Just noticed you may be from Aberdeen? and frequent Huntley here and there.
I left medical school there not too long ago! Hope the weather is nice up there.
I'm from Aberdeen but now live even closer to Huntly, I live in Turriff these days! I work down south though, just about to drive down to Warrington for the week

steveabdn

Reaction score
These are my 2 work bags. I have a tan Mulberry Chiltern and a Smythson that I sent away to be recoloured in burgundy and burnished.

DSC_0055.JPG

QR93

Reaction score
Thanks dieworkwear

That was a concern as researching vachetta is seems it is 'fragile' but most online discussion regarding it seems to be about LV bags which seem to only use it on straps and trims and most is positive comments on it.

I haven't been able to find another quality leather bag in a good price range which I find as aesthetically pleasing but open to suggestions nonetheless.

Ah steveabdn eugh that's a lot of travelling. I do like that mulberry and did consider it but out of my price range atm!

Was planning to take my bag to work but not sure if vachetta leather in a hospital is a good idea.

I had actually ordered this https://www.buckleandseam.com/product/leather-messenger-bag-sierra-15/ before ordering the Carl friedrik. The company's ethos and charity support drew me to it and the bag seems decent for every day use that I wouldn't have to worry about placing it on the floor. I was going to return it but I may just keep it now as I got it on sale. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Last edited:

qiosas

Reaction score
Guys, any brands to check out for slim leather day-to-day briefcase? I consider Carl Friedrik, but the price is quite steep, maybe something less than that?

QR93

Reaction score
Guys, any brands to check out for slim leather day-to-day briefcase? I consider Carl Friedrik, but the price is quite steep, maybe something less than that?
Have you looked at the buckle and seam sierra ? Mine came today and I was going to return it but I quite like it. It has character and is sturdy and I think I will use it day to day and save my Carl friedrik for more formal wear Nd occasions.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.