• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown/Tan Brogues for a student

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

This is my first time posting here. I'm a college senior who is just entering the world of dressing nice on a semi-regular basis, and I am looking to purchase some brownish brogues as I am building a more adult wardrobe.

As I am still a student I don't have the funds to spend $300+ on a pair of shoes... I would like to wear them with a couple of suits for work as well as a pair of nice jeans.

So I have found the following three pair that are more in my price range. Can any offer any input on these brands? Basically looking for some that look nice, can be worn dressed up or down, and will last decently for the price.

Selected Homme Brogues:
http://www.asos.com/Selected/Select...00=10&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Brown

Grenson Stanley Brogues:
http://www.matchesfashion.com/product/160844

Dune Brown Brogues:
http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/st...=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33056

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry if I've posted in the wrong forum, if so please point me in the right direction.

Just looking for some insight because I am eager to learn, but truly a neophyte when it comes to haberdashery.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lurk more before you jump into buying a "more adult wardrobe" (whatever that means). If you don't, then you're going to get carried away and waste a lot of money.

The last link didn't lead to anything. I don't have a preference between the first two. Are you going to wear them more with suits or jeans?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lurk more before you jump into buying a "more adult wardrobe" (whatever that means). If you don't, then you're going to get carried away and waste a lot of money.

The last link didn't lead to anything. I don't have a preference between the first two. Are you going to wear them more with suits or jeans?
Sorry for the length...

I'll wear them more with suits, and I am posting on here so that I don't jump into buying anything. I do have a limited budget, but I don't want to waste money. That's why I am posting here.

I have spent all of my "adult" life so far working in athletics where my most dressed up was a team polo and slacks. I've graduated and been offered a full time position that requires that I regularly wear a suit and tie. I want to dress sharp, but have to do so on a budget for the present. But at the same time its not a bargain if it doesn't last.

I am open to any suggestions. I have two higher end department store suits bought for previous occasions, a light grey striped and a charcoal with a faint plaid (not sure if I am describing those correctly). And an old solid black suit from a men's clothier that will need to be altered if I wear it again.

I have bought about 6 staple shirts (whites and blues) from Charles Tyrwhitt as I researched and found that they are consider considered high quality for cost.

For the present I would like to purchase a navy suit and either a blue (really love but similar to navy), tan/brown, or medium grey suit. As well as needing to get something like a black oxford shoe and the above mentioned brown brogues (I really love this style and color), and belts to match. I have purchased several department store ties (that I have been getting compliments on)... Shoes I think are the priority though because my current are very cheap.

I think I am being smart about upgrading my wardrobe, but I have come here for direction as I am clearly a rookie.

Please make any suggestions you think are warranted.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to wear them with a couple of suits for work as well as a pair of nice jeans.

You'd probably be better off buying two pairs of shoes - one which goes well with suits, and another which goes well with jeans.

I know you'd like to find one pair which goes well with everything. Unfortunately, you're much more likely to wind up with one pair which is a mediocre match for everything, and an excellent match for nothing. It's like buying a Swiss Army knife, because it gives you 47 tools in one. Sure, it's convenient and inexpensive, but none of those tools is likely to be as good for the job as a single, "normal" tool.

Since quality footwear, properly cared for, can give many years (decades) of use, this should be one area where spending a little more upfront, for excellent quality and excellent suitability to the role you wish the shoes to play, makes sense. It's not like you'd be blowing hundreds of extra dollars on an item which you'd only be able to use a handful of times, before it grew worn out and had to be replaced. Quality footwear can be thought of as more of a long term investment.

If you absolutely, positively cannot purchase two pairs of quality shoes, I'd recommend you decide which is more important to you - wearing with jeans, or wearing with suits - and buy one quality pair for that one purpose. Then, later on, when finances make it possible, buy a second pair of quality shoes for the other, lesser, purpose.

Reaction score
@12345Michael54321 Definitely the priority is not looking decent in a suit but then wearing a pair of shoes that look like they came from Payless.

Last edited:

Celadon

Reaction score
Why brogues? Brogues may go better with jeans, but if your primary objective at this point is to get a pair that goes with a suit, a pair of plain captoe oxfords (black or possibly dark brown) should be higher on your list of priorities. Brogues are more casual (how much more depends on the specific model and the amount of broguing) and there will be some occasions when you need the simplicity of something plainer.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you consider a black calfskin or suede chelsea boot?

Reaction score
@Celadon I just really like brogues, and I guess oxfords just seem a bit boring to me. You think an Oxford is the only way to go?

@add911_11 I haven't worn boots since Dr Martens in my grunge days. I'd have to educate myself on the subject. Any guidance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads