1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brown suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Feb 17, 2005.

1. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

I'm thinking about picking up a brown suit and was wondering are they appropriate to wear in the summer? Or are they more of a fall thing or year round, not quite sure when i should wear one.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Not my first choice, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

3. demeis

I just thought about getting one A)because i think i found a good deal on one and B) because i already have navys and greys and i wanted something a little different for my wardrobe. Any reasons why you don't like or just your personal preference?

4. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

When you are in the country

5. Manton

I like brown suits (wearing one now), but I tend to get them in heavier weights. I like light colors for summer. Light brown looks ... well, bad. Tan is great. I have some light-and-dark brown houndstooths and plaids that would be great for summer. But personally I not order a light colored brown. And I have a lot of summer suits on my mental list to order before I get around to ordering a light weight mid to dark brown. But that's just me.

6. demeis

7. Manton

Nailhead. The cloth looks good. Very much like what I have on now. I hope the sloppiness of the drape is caused by a lazy seller. But you have to be a real sloth to let a suit you're trying to sell look so slovenly on a tailor's dummy.

8. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

I love (darker) brown suits. As long as they are well tailored and in a fabric that would look good if it was also grey, I'm all for it. I wear my brown suits often, and I work in the city in a conservative environment (CPA). [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I have a very similar suit [to the nailhead posted in the link] waiting to be sold, my first and only suit bought brand new at a store. It is actually a 39r, too. Strange. Anyway, I wore it to a June wedding on the East coast when I was 18, with an RLPL pink oxford shirt and a darker pink Faconnable tie, and looked extremely good, if I do say so myself. I got plenty of compliments on it. I shudder to think what shoes I was wearing, though - happily I can't remember. I'd say, it is best in cooler weather, fall through spring. Brighten it up in the spring with colorful shirts and ties.

10. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

That is one sharp-looking get up.  Who's your tailor?

I wear my dark-brown suit (solid) with a pink shirt, tie with earth-tones, and cordovan brogues. Good look.

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I don't think that cuffthis looks like farmer.

12. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

ah, gee, thanks. I think (lol)

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Seriously, who made that suit? [​IMG]

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have a question on this topic actually...

I just recently got a great deal on a mid-tan 3-button suit, I was curious what kind of shirt colors/textures go well with it? I was just going to wear a white french oxford underneath it, but would like to try for something a little more inventive. Not really in the know about suits brown ranges, as this is my first one.

15. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

Personally I just don't find the color appealing. Tans and camels can look nice, and for shows I like chili/whiskey/cognac/whatever you want to call it, but a dark brown anything will always look off to me. Not counting leather goods, my only pure brown (not counting camel or beige) piece is a pair of chocolate cords, which I don't wear too often. As of now I don't see myself buying anything with brown as a primary color (well, maybe a tie or pocket square, but not a suit or shirt or what not).

That said, I see a lot of pictures here of neat outfits with an emphasis on brown (including the one here and the one in Carlo's thread, but I personally don't get them. I'll admit that it's just my hangup though, and I won't go off and call anyone who likes the look a "farmer."