• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown suits - Debate ender

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To end once and for all the Brown suit debate... Â I present brown single breasted, peak lapel Oxxford in a Royal Henley flannel brown pinstripe. Â Blue herringbone dress shirt, brown/blue cashmere/silk tie, blue/brown woven pocket square all by Carlo Franco. ...who (besides Ernest) thinks this is anything but elegant?
brown.jpg

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look put together by Jill after saying "I'll show you country."

Brian SD

Reaction score
Jill has quite the eye for style. I think that's the first time I've EVER liked an Oxxford suit.

misterbowles

Reaction score
I guess I'm now "a little bit country" instead of "a little bit rock and roll." Nice.

aybojs

Reaction score
I'll post here just to be that annoying contrarian (well sort of). The shirt, tie, and pocket square look great together and, in my opinion, would be excellent with a navy suit. Even though I like the styling, the brown suit doesn't work for me (I don't think I've ever seen one that has, though); I just don't like the color brown, and it's a little overwhelming for me to see it as the dominant color, especially with the additional brown pinstripe.

I'll give you one thing, in that I do rather like the silk/cashmere tie in spite of my hangup with brown. I wish I could see one of those in person.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan - who are you BS'ing - Clay County has no fields, this is what you wore for stripmining.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bois - NYC - March 4-5 :)

If I get 'Brown sucks, but this is as close as I've come to liking it' I will consider it a win :)

Chuck

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Not entirely true. There used to be a fair amount of tobacco grown there, although the fields were small (bottoms and flats for you country folk) compared to the Bluegrass. Any further east and no one grew tobacco because there just weren't any fields big enough to make it profitable. All the guys loved to wear brown peak lapel suits, though.
biggrin.gif

aybojs

Reaction score
Well, like I said, that's one of the best brown-themed looks I've seen, so I guess you might as well count that.

As I said before, those striped silk/cashmere ties look really good. I wish I weren't broke now.

Jill

Reaction score
Alan~
Chuck is busy shooting the ceremonial tie on a new Oxxford Tuxedo (while working on a good KENTUCKY Bourbon, but I repeat myself). But he says, "With all due respect, all decent Burley is grown in Madison county where we can't shoot the #$%@ing 3-pointer like Clay County midgets, but we dress purty".

I'm not sure what that means, be he said you'd know what he was talking about..

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
But he says, "With all due respect, all decent Burley is grown in Madison county where we can't shoot the #$%@ing 3-pointer like Clay County midgets, but we dress purty".
I might not argue with him on the Burley, but I've seen how Richmond boys dress, and an EKU Colonels t-shirt with tobacco juice on it ain't purty...

Jill

Reaction score
LOL.

Chuck says:

a) You win. He concedes the argument.
b) He's evolved. He now dresses nicely.
c) Around here, virgin wool doesn't mean "fast sheep".

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads