1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brown suits - Debate ender

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Carlo, Feb 18, 2005.

1. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

It is nice, but it almost seems a bit too put together. Something in the closeness of the tie and pocket square, maybe? Or the stripeds of the tie being too similar in scale to the suit stripes?

I will vouch for Carlo's silk/cashmere ties, though. They are EXCELLENT.

Montecristo

2. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

That is a GREAT look, IMO. I have only one brown suit, but I wear it quite frequently, often with a blue shirt. But nothing so beautiful as that Oxxford. Brown usually works better in the sportcoat arena, but my goodness, what a lovely suit, shirt, and tie combination. Ya gotta love brown. I mean, my wife used to work at UPS. And let's leave all farmers, especially Richie Farmer, out of the discussion.

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

(johnapril @ Feb. 18 2005,09:42)
    This suit is for FARMER. Jon.
    you sound ernest
    Yeah, that was the joke. Jon.
    And mine was a play on words/names.

4. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Richie needs to play more. [​IMG] Actually, I went to high school with him. Richie, shoot the three... (Further irony, he's now State Agriculture Commisioner in Kentucky. I kid you not.)

5. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Yeah, I'm waiting for the Pelphrey-Feldhaus gubernatorial ticket myself. Richie was a wildly popular player, especially with the sports talk callers from the mountains. I had tried to stay out of all the KY-related posting lately (witness all the bourbon discussion) but couldn't pass up the chance to drop a Farmer reference and defend brown at the same time.

Tell me something then, I swear Richie seemed like he was about 5 years older than everyone else in college. You know, one of those dudes that had a full mustache even at the age of thirteen. But if you went to HS with him, then I guess not, huh? BTW, don't let Chuck lord things over you, when the only contribution to The Program that Madison Central can claim would be Marquis Estill. I'll take Richie. Of course, Chuck probably spent too many Thursday nights partying at the Family Dog.

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

If Estill had done his class work he would have had another year of eligibility and an NBA career. Richie grew that mustache his freshmen year of high school. In fact, he grew a full beard for awhile. He was one year older than 'normal' for his class, because his parents held him back for a year. At that time that wasn't uncommon for parents who had an eye on athletics for their kids. He was born August of 1969. I suspect Richie has higher political aspirations. I'm not sure what Feldhaus is up to, but Pelphrey is coaching at South Alabama. He should have stayed an assistant at Florida for awhile longer. And, um, Adolph Rupp was famous for wearing brown. [​IMG]

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

I don't like it.

I don't like the multi-stripes of the suit.

I don't like the herringbone texture shirt, esp. against the silk tie and the fabric of the suit.

I don't like that the whole outfit indicates that the person thought about what he was going to dress like -- made an effort to insure that the shirt brought out the color in the tie, that the tie matched the suit, that the handkerchief matched the shirt. (But then again, I don't like any handkechief save white). It says I think a lot about my clothing -- and particularly this get-up, in a valiant attempt to make it work.

I don't think it's tasteful at all.

I have seen brown suits that I like though.

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

You can be elegant in brown... but in country.

And this suit is too sophisticate for country so it can not be worn anywhere.

9. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

LOL, could be fine for a sophisticated farmer Ernest, no? Here ya go - a less fashion forward brown suit. Â Brown and cream herringbone Oxxford in pure cashmere and a less sophisticated, put together look. Why? Â Oh why not, it's fun to provoke the brown haters and get all those 'you can't use cashmere for a suit' opiners. Â THis one is a fabric called "Emporer's Cashmere" - the good hard stuff from England that gets softer with age as the threads fray... and it wears like wool. Now I'll get the 'too boring' argument :) [​IMG]

10. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I'm not the world's biggest fan of brown suits but I don't mind this.