• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brown suit

zfish23

Reaction score

I recently inherited a brown three-piece suit from my grandfather. While it is a very nice suit, I can't help but feel its dated. I attached a close up of the pattern. Am I correct in my assumption?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's more about the cut, the lapels, the pockets, the button stance, the shoulders, etc. than the color or the material. Photograph the jacket in its entirety and we'll be able to tell you better. Better yet, take a photo with the jacket on. Maybe the sizing is so off that there's no point even asking this question.

rick07

Reaction score
That's sums it up. You can always change the fit/cut to update the look.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, actually you can't. If the fit is bad (chest and shoulders), you punt and start over.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently inherited a brown three-piece suit from my grandfather. While it is a very nice suit, I can't help but feel its dated. I attached a close up of the pattern. Am I correct in my assumption?

Pattern does not help dude, show full pic. Welcome to forum BTW.

Indeed to a degree in terms of fit, but at what cost until it ends up cheaper just to buy a new suit that is modern?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that is a very old fashioned cloth and unlikely to have a place today. Seeing the whole jacket would help as fit/cut are also quite important,

Why not consider burning it discretely, hand me downs do not always benefit the recipient and you should not feel obliged to put up with it.

buzzron

Reaction score
why don't we take a look at the entire suit to gauge its relevance in today's fashion?

connor09

Reaction score
let's not burn it right away, post a picture of the suit and SF will be the judge of that.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pictures please :slayer:

Failing that, it can probably be worked into a Haloween costume.

Last edited:

JonasAberg

Reaction score
If you really don't like it - give it to charity or sell it for a six pack of beer or take it to a vintage store. Burning it is just wasteful.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you really don't like it - give it to charity or sell it for a six pack of beer or take it to a vintage store. Burning it is just wasteful.

The only problem of giving it away to a second hand shop is that the donor might, by some mischance, find it there. Burning does get it out of circulation.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.