Brown suit for job interview -- too weird/dated?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fuelharp, Jun 20, 2010.

1. fuelharp

fuelharp Member

Gentlemen,

I'm just a few years out of college and own just one suit - a dark brown pinstriped suit from H&M that I stumbled upon just before graduating. It fits very nicely, which is why I bought it.

I have a pretty serious job interview coming up soon, and want to make sure everything is perfect, presentation-wise.

I can't help but shake the feeling that the dark brown is just very 1970s... even though the cut and everything else about the suit is modern. This is a fairly accurate represenation of the color: http://www.ahfashion.com/products_pi...Brown.jpgM.jpg

Do you feel that it would be appropriate for an interview? This is in IT, so I don't anticipate my suit being heavily judged, but I still want to have everything squared. All of the people that I've interviewed that have worn suits wore black suits (usually too large, though).

Thanks!

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Navy blue suit, blue or white shirt, simple tie. Thats it.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

+1. Unless you posses some skill that no one else has or you look specatular on paper.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1. Unless you posses some skill that no one else has or you look specatular on paper.

[​IMG]

5. Contango

Contango Senior member

+1.

Otherwise, you mentioned you're interviewing for a job in IT - see if you can find out the dress code of the company. If they're really casual perhaps a blazer and chinos would be better than wearing a brown suit.

Unless your family and friends are extremely bogan, a navy suit will never go to waste - weddings, parties, funerals etc.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Charcoal suit also works.

7. fuelharp

fuelharp Member

Thanks for the quick input, guys. I should mention that I'm an unusual size, so I can't just pick up a suit in a store. I've been mulling over whether or not to order something from somewhere like Indochino (that can accommodate my fit and be priced decently) and hope it gets here in time for the interview.

Dress code at the interviewing place is a mix between business casual and casual, though the position is pretty high-paying so I want to play it safe.

Absolute no on a brown suit, then?

8. SpooPoker

i vote no. If its 6 figures plus, get the navy (or charcoal - but really I think navy) ASAP.

9. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Brown suits are too casual.

10. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

I would avoid the brown suit at all costs. Like the posts above, I agree with navy, charcoal or black (personal preference). My favorite color suit is charcoal and the census at the forum is black is a no-no.

11. Bull

Bull Senior member

Go ahead with the brown, but wear a muted shirt and tie combo.

When I was in law school, you should have seen some of the deplorable shit that men wore to interviews and were able to bag job offers with. One kid's tie was so badly tied, I don't think he actually went for a discernable knot. I think he literally just invented the knot that morning. With horrible results. And he bagged an offer.

Wear you suit, and wear a clean, plain shirt and a non-loud tie, and you'll be fine. Nobody in the modern era has EVER lost an offer based on some arcane rules of dress code that nobody bothers to follow any more anyway.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Charcoal suit, Black shoes, White button down collar shirt, Repp tie.

13. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Senior member

Charcoal suit, Black shoes, White button down collar shirt, Repp tie.

why button down collar?

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

why button down collar?
    Because a spread collar would be over doing it for an IT interview. A charcoal suit because it's the least thought provoking of the color choices acceptable for an interview, and a Repp tie because it's boring but perfectly acceptable to wear with a button down collar. The purpose of interview attire is to simply say 'I can fit in'. A brown suit doesn't say that, and for that matter something slick like an English spread collar doesn't ether. Don't worry about your interviewer judging the quality of your attire, especially for entry level. The worst thing you can do for an entry level position is look slick. IT people rarely wear suits, so its not expected that you will look good when you actually do wear one. So you're interviewer is going to think 'WTF' if you show up looking like an English Aristocrat or Italian Statesman. You're almost better off in the cheap black suit, however since this is SF I'll say go for the cheap charcoal suit. A modern cut is acceptable if this is in a decent sized city since that trend is coming to life in many places.

15. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

The purpose of interview attire is to simply say 'I can fit in'. A brown suit doesn't say that, and for that matter something slick like an English spread collar doesn't ether.

I don't know. If the brown is as dark as he says, it's not immediately noticeable. And yes, interviewers who see a young clientele see some pretty awful suits.

That said, a man should have a navy suit.