Brown suede wingtips

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by montecristo#4, Oct 10, 2004.

1. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I just got these last week. Figured I'd post some pictures. Yanko makes a nice shoe. Better construction and more stylish than Alden, for about the same price. I was a bit worried about the color of these when I ordered, but they came in perfect--a nice, chocolate brown, just what I was looking for. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I figure I'll wear these with everything from jeans to a suit. Regards, Montecristo

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

3. djkovner

djkovner Well-Known Member

Nice shoes. Where can I buy a pair online? How about the sizing? Do they run true to size?

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

How about a picture of the soles?

Edit: And the shoes look great too. I agree with Manton that it looks to be a more elegant shoe than what Alden produces, although Alden's suede wingtip is on the Hampton last, which is one of the more elegant Alden lasts.

5. montecristo#4

Here are the soles. Luckily I have nothing better to do than take pictures as I sit here watching Washington lose to the Ravens defense. Sorry they are a bit dirty--the shoes aren't brand new any more. I also had a few slugs banged into the toe to keep the wear down. Not an elegant job, but hopefully quite functional. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Before I ordered these, I had a pair of the equivalent Aldens you refer to in my hand. I ultimately decided to order the Yankos for a few reasons--first, the color of the Aldens was a darker brown, and I wanted a milk chocolate color; second, I think the finishing on the Yankos is much better; and third, I think the Yankos have a more elegant last. The toe in particular seems more stylish to me, not to mention the inside of the waist. Montecristo

6. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Washington has made it very difficult for me over the past 11 years. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the pictures. Mostly, I wanted to see if they were stitched aloft and how the waist of the sole was done. I can see a bit of curvature from the third picture, and I think that they're well-done. You know, I don't want to dump of Aldens because I think that they're good shoes and an American treasure. But you're right: they really don't have the elegance of many of the European makes. Please let us know if you're as satisfied with your Yankos after wearing them for a few months.

7. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Where do they carry these shoes? And what price range?

8. montecristo#4

I ordered these from Sky Valet on Wisconsin Ave in DC. They don't actually stock this particular model, but they do have a decent range of other Yankos. They were in the $325-350 range. I'm not aware of anywhere you can order them on the Internet, unfortunately.

9. DSM

DSM Active Member

I've had a pair of almost the identical shoe going on six/seven years now. I bought them at Macy's--a Ralph Luaren shoe.

As Fluessar maintains in his books, these shoes work great with "anything". I wear them with jeans to flannels and whipcords. I just recently ordered a bespoke pair of these from Edward Green--an oxford coffee suede wingtip in the alaide model.

10. kabert

kabert Senior member

Nice shoes. Every time I go into Sky Valet, I'm impressed with the Yanko shoes they stock. If they had channelled soles, I think we'd be comparing them to Grenson Masterpieces.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Very nice, without question. I do have a hard time getting past the name "Yanko". Â [​IMG] I like these Peal suede semi-brogues along the same lines. Here are the Alden suede wingtips in question. I'd have to agree that I prefer both the Yankos and the Peals. Bruce Boyer mentions in Elegance that almost all of his shoes are suede. I need to get a pair

12. kabert

kabert Senior member

Montecristo,
    How are the Yanko's holding up? About 10 days ago, I bought a similar pair but without the broguing and with the dainite sole. Love 'em. Very versatile.

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

very sweet. elegant toe. nice mocha color.

14. montecristo#4

They are holding up quite well, although it should be noted I am pretty easy on shoes. The one issue I've had with them is that there's a line of extra wear in the suede across the front of the shoe where the shoe creases when walking. Not sure if there's much that can be done about that, however.