Brown suede shoes: What shade?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, May 31, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

If you were going to buy a pair of brown suede shoes, what shade would you buy? I was thinking that since they are inherently casual, then you may as well buy lighter colored brown suede shoes, anyway, since it's tough to wear them semi-formally.

Or could you wear dark brown suede oxfords to the ordinary business occasion?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

You can wear dark brown suede to more casual business occasions. That would be my choice. I have a pair of Church's dark brown cape buck suede captoe brogues (not my size) that I found at a thrift shop and I would like something similar to those. Something this shade or darker:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLO-RALPH-LAURE...QQcmdZViewItem

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

you can also get suede as in shoes that are more for posh night out city looks rather than the popular suede for country shoes and brogue looks.

i have a pair of Gucci loafers in a very velvety dark brown with a gold hardware piece in the front, not a bit loafer, and it is best worn on a night out, in chic places. i wlill try to get a photo for you, but suede is difficult to photograph with a digital camera.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I do so with impunity. I have a pair of dark brown suede Ferragamos that I wear in just about every possible business setting.

5. amemovox

amemovox Well-Known Member

If you were going to buy a pair of brown suede shoes, what shade would you buy? I was thinking that since they are inherently casual, then you may as well buy lighter colored brown suede shoes, anyway, since it's tough to wear them semi-formally.

I too just ordered my first pair of brown suede shoes. Because all my
    shoes are lace-ups, I decided to go with a slip-on in a more casual style. These
    are available from AE (Keene) in a dark brown suede as well as these in what
    AE terms snuff sude.
    [​IMG]

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think you can go wrong with any shade, I own a dark chocolate and tobacco and love them both.

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love suede shoes! I have examples in maple, cognac, tobacco, nutmeg, chocolate, mink, espresso, olive and grey.

8. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I love suede shoes! I have examples in maple, cognac, tobacco, nutmeg, chocolate, mink, espresso, olive and grey.
    Bless you, Andrew. Yet another of your outstanding sartorial examples for us to live up to. BTW, I'd love to see the grey. Did I miss it in one of your shoe posts? Perhaps so, as my indolence knows few bounds.

9. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bless you, Andrew. Yet another of your outstanding sartorial examples for us to live up to. BTW, I'd love to see the grey. Did I miss it in one of your shoe posts? Perhaps so, as my indolence knows few bounds.

Thanks for the kind words VG!

Rest easy, these have not yet been posted for public consumption...

The grey suedes are a rare breed indeed. They are rendered in a classic penny loafer style and come from the quite short-lived partnership between Edward Green and Cole Haan. I'll try to post some pictures later tonight.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I like lighter suedes personally. Light brown and tan and chestnut, that sort of thing.

11. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Suedes of all tones look fabulous. I just love a deep, rich brown with warm tones. Make a pair of cap bals (yes, bals) in that and you've got a wonderful, slightly casual (but still serious) accompaniment to a navy worsted or charcoal flannel suit.

12. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I have the same problem as I am looking for a pair also. I have been leaning toward the lighter tobacco color range mainly because it seems to show the detailing better. Are these "lighter colors still okay with charcoal grey and also brown suits?

13. csheehan

csheehan Active Member

I bought two pairs of suede shoes a couple of years ago, a mid-brown and a chocolate brown. I thought that I would wear the mid-brown the most but that hasn't been the case. I tend to wear blazers and mid to light gray pants and I find that the chocolate goes better with those colours.

Chris

14. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

The dark brown suede from AE at STP are awesome. I think they just went on sale so those would get my vote.

15. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Nice discussion.

A part of me seems to think that if I were to get a pair of suede shoes, I'd love a pair of caramel suede wingtips.