1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brown suede: Pick b/w C&J or Tramezza?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EL72, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Agreed on the toe shape for me, it is somewhat reminiscent of the RLPL Mackay in my humble opinion.

I followed a GVH auction for the Alton's in my size that went for ~$85 over the Fourth of July weekend. I feel ashamed for not picking them up, but there is something.....off about that style for me.

How about belts to pair with these? Would everyone reach for a suede belt or would calf be acceptable?

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

Agreed on the toe shape for me, it is somewhat reminiscent of the RLPL Mackay in my humble opinion.

I followed a GVH auction for the Alton's in my size that went for ~$85 over the Fourth of July weekend. I feel ashamed for not picking them up, but there is something.....off about that style for me.

How about belts to pair with these? Would everyone reach for a suede belt or would calf be acceptable?

I have a Robert Talbott suede belt that I bought from STP. Through good fortune, the color and nap of the suede are almost a perfect match for my Altons. It's a little wider than the usual dress belt, but not outrageously wide. I always wear the suede belt with suede shoes, but I have a pair of mixed calfskin/suede Grenson shoes from the last Bennies sale. It's not clear whether a calfskin or reverse calfskin (suede) belt is best, but I always wear a calfskin belt with them, primarily because I don't own a suede belt in the right width to be a true dress belt.

3. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I've been looking at a Talbott myself, but I can't bring myself to pay retail. I'm having a really hard time finding a discounted suede belt....maybe it's the time of year. [​IMG]

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

If those were the size 10's, I was the winner. Don't feel bad though, GVH shipped me a fugly pair of RL boots instead and when I told them of the mix up, they told me that they no longer had the Alton which I won so I was SOL. They did refund my bid and the shipping and they paid the shipping back to them. I though would have preferred the $84 Altons [​IMG]

5. EL72

EL72 Senior member

If those were the size 10's, I was the winner. Don't feel bad though, GVH shipped me a fugly pair of RL boots instead and when I told them of the mix up, they told me that they no longer had the Alton which I won so I was SOL. They did refund my bid and the shipping and they paid the shipping back to them. I though would have preferred the $84 Altons [​IMG]

Without wanting to unjustly impugne GVH, there are 2 pairs of size 10 Altons I bid on since, both selling for $200+:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLO-RALPH-LAURE...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Without wanting to unjustly impugne GVH, there are 2 pairs of size 10 Altons I bid on since, both selling for $200+:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLO-RALPH-LAURE...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1

Yes, but the one I won were from their "GVH" auction which according to them had some scuffs so they were selling them as used, although they looked as good as new and I even emailed them asking if the pic was a pic of the actual shoes they were selling. They said yes and the picture in my auction was different from the pic in all the other Alton auctions, so I believed them. They then told me that it was a mistake and that there are no more Altons. When I noticed they had more 10's, I told them I'd gladly take a new pair of 10's and pay more money assuming they gave me some price consideration. They said they'd gladly sell me a pair for $349.99 minus my $84 winning bid [​IMG]

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Both shoes are built on rather narrow, elongated lasts, so please factor these considerations into your purchase. Pricewise, the Altons can probably be found for less than the Tramezzas--I'm guessing substantially less. Many forum members managed to pick up the Polo shoes for anywhere between $80-150. I paid somewhere between that figure, and find the shoes for an absolute steal compared to anything that retails in the vicinity or even twice the price.

The Tramezzas will probably go for around $200-300. The blucher style of the Polo shoe is better for individuals with high insteps. Once again, I would base your decision on fit rather than sheer aesthetics. Both are wonderful shoes.

8. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

It is very important to always buy both pairs you like.