• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

brown spots from ironing

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
While ironing a couple of white shirts, I noticed some smal brown spots appearing, so I stopped. Anyone know what causes this? I assume either bad water in the iron or soap residue still in the shirts? And how I can get this out? Thanks in advance.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
While ironing a couple of white shirts, I noticed some smal brown spots appearing, so I stopped. Anyone know what causes this? I assume either bad water in the iron or soap residue still in the shirts? And how I can get this out? Thanks in advance.

Rust spots. Always empty the leftover water after ironing.

Now, to remove traces of rust in your iron, fill it with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and distilled water, steam it all out, then repeat with just distilled water, steam it all out. also clean thoroughly the ironing surface to make sure all rust particles are gone

EDIT - also always start with the tail when ironing a shirt, so you can see if rust spots appear before you ruin visible parts...

hughjoen

Reaction score
If its not the burn spot from the iron, then washing it again will get rid of it. Bad, hard water, and soap risidue is probably it like you said. Wash your shirts w/ water softner at highest recommended temperature, and maybe rinse twice. This might be good idea to check your washing machine for buildups, drainage and use stuff like CLR to clean for older (2+ years old) machines.

trogdor

Reaction score
Isn't there something you can do with lemon juice to fix this, or is that for burns?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.