brown spots from ironing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fatherseanfan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

While ironing a couple of white shirts, I noticed some smal brown spots appearing, so I stopped. Anyone know what causes this? I assume either bad water in the iron or soap residue still in the shirts? And how I can get this out? Thanks in advance.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

While ironing a couple of white shirts, I noticed some smal brown spots appearing, so I stopped. Anyone know what causes this? I assume either bad water in the iron or soap residue still in the shirts? And how I can get this out? Thanks in advance.

Rust spots. Always empty the leftover water after ironing.

Now, to remove traces of rust in your iron, fill it with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and distilled water, steam it all out, then repeat with just distilled water, steam it all out. also clean thoroughly the ironing surface to make sure all rust particles are gone

EDIT - also always start with the tail when ironing a shirt, so you can see if rust spots appear before you ruin visible parts...

3. hughjoen

hughjoen Active Member

If its not the burn spot from the iron, then washing it again will get rid of it. Bad, hard water, and soap risidue is probably it like you said. Wash your shirts w/ water softner at highest recommended temperature, and maybe rinse twice. This might be good idea to check your washing machine for buildups, drainage and use stuff like CLR to clean for older (2+ years old) machines.

4. Stu

Stu Senior member

I would also only use distilled water in the iron. It is free of some of the minerals and deposits that can lead to brown spots.

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

It's not always rust.

A lot of the time I find it's starch or detergent that didn't get completely washed out. It should come out easily the next time you wash it.

6. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Isn't there something you can do with lemon juice to fix this, or is that for burns?