• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brown shoes with grey trousers

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes! The black shirt/pants/suit thread but incognito.

Black shirts can look good. You've got to pair them with a black suit, a black belt, and black shoes (no tie please). Modern, very slimming. I know a billionaire who dresses like this everyday and he doesn't look like a waiter. Naturally the fit must be perfect.

In your case, as stated above, don't use the black shirt. Any light color is safe. But don't you want a jacket too?

Sorry, but that guy would look bad to any SF forumite no matter what his net worth is.

I never wear black. I suffer from dandruff.

Last edited:

Chrenetique

Reaction score
He actually looked good.

The man is overweight, but his suits (Camps de Luca bespoke?) give him a surprisingly trim, sturdy aspect. I'm bewildered.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear brown shoes with grey pants all the time.

I've been getting rid of all my black shoes and have been stocking up on various shades of brown.

Something about black shoes doesn't do it for me.

Nick Miller

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wear brown shoes with grey pants all the time.
I've been getting rid of all my black shoes and have been stocking up on various shades of brown.
Something about black shoes doesn't do it for me.

It's funny tricky, I feel the same way. I have a hard time having Black go with anything.

To the OP, I would avoid the Black shirt and go with a White or Blue shirt like others have said.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black shirt needs black shoes and belt. It will look "off" without it.

Brown shoes can be paired with just about any color shirt except black.

Black shoes can be worn with grey pants and blue, white, pink, blue & White stripped, etc. shirts.

There are good looking black shoes that look very good when worn properly.

Nick Miller

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
OK, well I'm glad your happy, I guess I'm doing something right. More blogs to come, just waiting on a few things.

Sorry for the threadjack fellas...

tone76

Reaction score
If you're a member of an organised crime syndicate, then black shirts are great. For the rest of us, probably best avoided.

I rocked a blue shirt with grey trousers yesterday.

Last edited:

Risk_Reward

Reaction score

Black shirts can look good. You've got to pair them with a black suit, a black belt, and black shoes (no tie please). Modern, very slimming. I know a billionaire who dresses like this everyday and he doesn't look like a waiter. Naturally the fit must be perfect.
In your case, as stated above, don't use the black shirt. Any light color is safe. But don't you want a jacket too?

This guy is a billionaire. Would you dress like him too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads