• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brown shoes with grey trousers

ramjet

Reaction score
Hi opinions please. I'm thinking of a black shirt, medium grey trousers with darkish brown shoes and matching belt. do they go or not?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be fine. Although a shirt of another color would be potentially better.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd do anything other than a black shirt. Light blue would be my preference. What is this for?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the grey and brown go, if you insist then the black and grey go too, but it's the black and brown that don't go... think about it carefully.

so either do black shirt with grey pants, but then black belt and shoes
or
grey pants, brown belt and shoes, with a shirt that's not black

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Unless you're a waiter or a magician avoid black button-front shirts AT ALL COSTS.

ramjet

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice. So I think it will be either the black shirt but with black belt and black shoes or just stick with the original combo but with a white shirt instead?

Gorpomon

Reaction score
In my opinion, no.

I often am tempted to do the grey or navy slacks with brown shoes/belt, and a black sweater, and it just doesn't really work. I end up switch to black shoes/belt.

go with the white shirt

This gentleman ^ is right, just go with a white shirt. Also, whiteshirtmania! will be returning any day now.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it doesn't have to be a plain white shirt, it's just that black and brown don't work together, and generally speaking black shirt = waiter, or musician.

that being said, I do have a black shirt and like to wear it out at night to the bars with a medium grey suit, but it's a sort of retro (vegas?) look.

TexasDan

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice. So I think it will be either the black shirt but with black belt and black shoes or just stick with the original combo but with a white shirt instead?

No black shirt. White shirt is fine, light blue shirt is better.

I wear light blue shirt with grey trousers and brown shoes frequently and thinks it looks better than a white sirt.

facet

Reaction score

I'm currently wearing a light blue shirt with grey pants and brown shoes. My mom thinks I look awesome.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Black shirts can look good. You've got to pair them with a black suit, a black belt, and black shoes (no tie please). Modern, very slimming. I know a billionaire who dresses like this everyday and he doesn't look like a waiter. Naturally the fit must be perfect.

In your case, as stated above, don't use the black shirt. Any light color is safe. But don't you want a jacket too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads