1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brown Shoes with Gray suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 21, 2004.

1. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

What happened to the idea of wearing a dinner jacket (read.. a tux) to proms?

It was a bad idea in the first place. I'd use the opportunity to get my kid a suit that he could use again and again in college.

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

It was a bad idea in the first place. I'd use the opportunity to get my kid a suit that he could use again and again in college.
    How would you hope to teach someone the concept of dressing for an occasion if it's all about pragmatics?

3. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

he was trying to force me into buying a new pair of shoes so he could sell me one of his suits.

Never let sales assistants force you into doing anything. Otherwise you may end up becoming a major contributor to this thread.

4. furo

furo Senior member

"The Cap-Toe Brogue
    The cap-toe, either plain or with a medallion decoration, is the most dressy business shoe one can wear, and for years this shoe has been the staple of the businessman's wardrobe. This lace-up shoe comes in black and various shades of brown. It is to be worn only with business suits of worsteds or flannels."

In this paragraph, is Flusser referring to bluchers or balmorals? And what is the rule when it comes to wearing a brogue (wingtip) with more casual dress, such as cotton trousers and button down shirts? This is the first I've heard that a brogue can only be worn with a suit. Because I'm wearing my AE McClains today with the aforementioned combo:

[​IMG]

5. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

In this paragraph, is Flusser referring to bluchers or balmorals? And what is the rule when it comes to wearing a brogue (wingtip) with more casual dress, such as cotton trousers and button down shirts? This is the first I've heard that a brogue can only be worn with a suit. Because I'm wearing my AE McClains today with the aforementioned combo:

I think that was typo and should read "Cap-toe Oxford" and not brogue. Wing-tips, such as your McClains, do not have cap-toes anyway.

6. TexasLidig8r

TexasLidig8r Senior member

But, shouldn't every gentleman... beginning at about college age, own their own dinner jacket/tuxedo?

7. furo

furo Senior member

I think that was typo and should read "Cap-toe Oxford" and not brogue. Wing-tips, such as your McClains, do not have cap-toes anyway.

So the rule is: something like an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in brown can only be worn with a suit?

8. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

So the rule is: something like an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in brown can only be worn with a suit?

Rules are made to be broken.

9. furo

furo Senior member

Good point... I've been wearing the brown Park Aves with my cotton trousers too lol

And when my black cap toe shell bluchers come in the mail I'm going to wear those with navy cotton trousers.... so good to know that the look can be pulled off

10. Mild Mannered

Mild Mannered Senior member

Brown shoes are the most interesting to look at. all colors of them. You only live once so do whatever you like. Yesterday I wore some tan loafers with a charcoal suit. I don't care what anyone thinks either. it looked great and caught people's eyes. ok i wore charcoal pinstripe suit, striped white shirt. no tie, no belt and my tan loafers. -primo.

11. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

No, mom wasn't right. Duh.

12. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Brown shoes are the most interesting to look at. all colors of them. You only live once so do whatever you like. Yesterday I wore some tan loafers with a charcoal suit. I don't care what anyone thinks either. it looked great and caught people's eyes. ok i wore charcoal pinstripe suit, striped white shirt. no tie, no belt and my tan loafers. -primo.

were you zipped?

13. Yika

Yika Senior member

when wearing a brown shoe and matching brown belt, must the shades of brown be similar or is it acceptable to be of different shades ?

14. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

when wearing a brown shoe and matching brown belt, must the shades of brown be similar or is it acceptable to be of different shades ?

In my opinion, either match completely of throw contrast out the window and where what you want. If you're going formal though, match exactly.

15. eg1

eg1 Senior member

But, shouldn't every gentleman... beginning at about college age, own their own dinner jacket/tuxedo?

That would depend upon his social circumstances. I have never required one.

16. shutout

shutout New Member

Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I am kind of confused on the details of light brown going with light gray....and sure everyone says go with what YOU think looks good, I am just looking for a little guidance. I am thinking about going with this look in the attachment.

I was looking to wear a tan-ish shoes and belt with this, but got thrown off with people saying always wear dark brown with gray....

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

17. krawlxx

krawlxx Well-Known Member

I feel like everyone is talking about matching suits with shoes, but doesn't anyone else consider their shirt and tie?

I have a light grey suit, and if I'm going white shirt/black tie I'll wear black shoes for a very classic look. If I feel like my shirt and tie combo is already colorful, then I'll also chose black shoes for that. For most other shirt/tie combos I'll go with brown.

18. run23

run23 Active Member

I feel like everyone is talking about matching suits with shoes, but doesn't anyone else consider their shirt and tie?

I have a light grey suit, and if I'm going white shirt/black tie I'll wear black shoes for a very classic look. If I feel like my shirt and tie combo is already colorful, then I'll also chose black shoes for that. For most other shirt/tie combos I'll go with brown.

Good point. I generally wear some shade of brown with just about everything, except when I'm doing the classic white shirt/black tie look or when the shirt/tie combo gets a little too bold.

19. Mikael

Mikael Well-Known Member

I don't really think about it. Then again, I almost always wear a white shirt (to the office), and don't have too loud ties, so I guess I'm always good to go with brown shoes...

20. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I've got great difficulty matching ties with my shirts so I always end up getting striped ties, university ties and plain ties. Don't seem to be able to bring myself to wear ties with a pinkish flair of cartoon prints a la Hermes.

On a side note, what do you guys think about university ties. Okay to be worn out? or should they be stashed in the cupboard once you've graduated?