• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brown Shoes, Grey Pants. Use a Brown Belt??

apple3210

Reaction score
hey guys,

so i like the look of brown shoes against grey pants. but i'm not seeing the grey pants going with the brown belt. should i just go with it though?

also, what color is good with a very dark charcoal? i can't imagine the brown going with it but i'm yet to try.

thanks

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Wear the brown belt.....however, if the it's very dark charcoal I'd be going black on the shoes, not brown. Maybe a very dark oxblood...

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Brown belt will look perfectly fine with grey pants while wearing brown shoes, I do it all the time.

+1

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Brown shoes, brown belt. I don't really see a good alternative. You could try a gray belt, maybe (have never done this myself, just a spur of the moment thought), but ONLY IF the gray of the belt matches the trousers exactly. That way you'd basically blend out the belt and the focus would lie on the rest of the wardrobe.

Just out of curiosity: What if not brown did you have in mind?

Cheers
Reto

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
charcoal goes with everything. dont make things more complicated then they have to be.

apple3210

Reaction score
^^well i was just gonna go with the brown anyway lol or black (although i have read how much ppl on SF hate the black belt and shoes on the grey)

^the charcoal is quite a dark one that if the lighting isn't bright enough, it could pass as black.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
Wear the brown belt.....however, if the it's very dark charcoal I'd be going black on the shoes, not brown. Maybe a very dark oxblood...

Pretty much this.

When I wear darker pants, I wear bordeux shoes with a black belt. For lighter pants, black shoes and black belt, or whiskey shoes and whiskey belt.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brown belt will look perfectly fine with grey pants while wearing brown shoes, I do it all the time.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio

This - brown and brown or oxblood/burgundy for me

Charlie

Hans Cater

Reaction score

+100

That's is just so right. I do it too all the time. Even now.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apple3210
so i like the look of brown shoes against grey pants. but i'm not seeing the grey pants going with the brown belt. should i just go with it though?

If the colour of the shoes goes with the colour of the suit, and the belt is roughly the same colour as the shoes, why would the belt not go with the suit?

If you're wearing brown shoes, wear either a brown belt or no belt.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 88 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 81 16.0%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 48 9.5%