• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown shoes for an evening party?

ReL

Reaction score
I was just wondering if its okay to wear dark brown shoes with a charcoal suit for an evening party? thanks in advance

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. There is a "rule" about not wearing brown shoes after 6 PM and wearing black to formal evening events. As with all "rules" on this forum, they may be disregarded when you know your own personal style and the context would allow it. This is one of the most such disregarded rules on this forum, if that helps.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still think black would be better for an evening party.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What sort of party, where/when, what are other guests likely to be wearing, etc.

Context is all. Most, anyway.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rules always imply exceptions...
Every situation must be taken in its context...
An evening party can stretch from a very formal occasion to something a bit more personal ,allowing more input form your part....
There is also a dynamic personal dimension in your choice...
Is ita profesional event where you do not want to be seen as not respecting the rules?...
Do you want to be seen ,to be forgotten ,to be part of the goup,to be accepted ,respected?
The etiquette of no black after six is a benchmark ,dating from a few decades ago.
When if it 's still better if you stick to the rules ,our less rigid society will accept a more personal approach as long as it is adapted to the situation (the context dimension)...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
dukegrad?

My friends
these days I only wear FLIP/FLOPS
And torn jeans LOL
My Victorias Secret model wife loves them
A nice malt and a glock
Life is good!

Nice day my friend

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if flip-flops were good enough for the White House...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
other than a formal event, i almost always opt to wear brown shoes. even in the evening.

this_is_james

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
other than a formal event, i almost always opt to wear brown shoes. even in the evening.

does that mean you almost never wear black?

i prefer to wear brown shoes too but the peacoats i've been interested in are all black and i haven't seen a decent one in grey.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by this_is_james
does that mean you almost never wear black?

i prefer to wear brown shoes too but the peacoats i've been interested in are all black and i haven't seen a decent one in grey.

from where i am, a peacoat is not appropriate. and yes, i have avoided wearing black altogether, shirt, trousers, jeans, jackets, suits, socks. pre-sf/aaac i was the type who'd go around wearing something black, but i tend to notice that color gives character to what you wear. besides, black is black- while brown has different shades and patina which gives the shoe, imo, more character and style.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do also prefer brown shoes because of the different tones you can play with ,patina speaking....
Brown patinas aremore vibrant ,interesting and are telling more about the person wearing them than the formal black shoes...
Black shoes tend to be more reliable but lacking of character and volume...
on the plus side ,they are easy to mix with and less prone to fashion faux-pas...
I start seeing people wearing black with a twist ...Black with Patina with deep blue or strong grey undertones...
This is the new black that some famous brand are pushing through...

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the original question, I think it's been stated that after 6 pm, brown is considered inappropriate. That being said, I just attended a charity event and wore brown lace-ups with a medium-dark grey suit (glen plaid with brown and light grey), blue shirt and brown and pale blue paisley tie. My "excuse" was I was coming from work to the event, but it was a good look for a less-than-formal event.

Regarding brown in general, I'm pretty much over the excess of black in most wardrobes. Brown has a depth and range that black doesn't allow for. Save for a formal occasion, I've been opting for brown shoes and accessories over black with greys and blues.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy

Same here. Not that I would have at any point in the future a formal event to attend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads