• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown shoes - But what type of brown?

T900

Reaction score
Hi all

Have always been wearing black shoes with my navy suits. But decided to be more adventurous after reading this forum.

So I am thinking of a first pair of brown shoes (that I can wear with my navy suits and a charcoal grey suit that I intend to get).

May I have suggestions with regards to which shade of brown to get (that will go very well with navy and charcoal) for my first pair of brown shoes?

Pictures will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
18675lg.jpg

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
I think that if you want to get away from black shoes, get a pair of shoes in burgundy. Burgundy goes very well with navy and gray.
cordovan_2.jpg
If you really want to get a brown, get something in a dark brown to go with navy. Something like:
eg_dover_32_darkoak.jpg

tonup277

Reaction score
did somebody say brown?
i went a bit nuts and bought 4 pairs of browns last week.
double monk is santoni jadwin.
semi brogue is trickers kensington.
captoe and wholecut are BB peals.

the great majority of shoe shots i see on this forum are pristine (i imagine unworn). i've always wondered, do some you guys just collect shoes but never actually wear them?!

i already wore all 4 this week
lol8[1].gif

you can see the creases already
frown.gif

especially the wholecut - the finish on that model is almost like it's patent leather, so the wrinkles are more pronounced.

here's a question to the regulars: you see how all my browns are varied shades, but they all lean toward darker shades. which kiwi color would you recommend? i'd really prefer not fuss with many different shades, would like to limit it to 2 max if possible. i've used neutral meltonian creme on my church's (never polished them for over a year), and it came out very nice...just enough shine, but not mirror glossy. however, i realize that kiwi polish (or the like) will ultimately be necessary in order help protect it from scratches and such.

any reco/advice on a single kiwi shade (or two) that i could use across all 4 pairs?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on burgundy. If the guy in the photo crashes down the stairs, I'll be there to kick his ass to steal his shoes.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
I think that if you want to get away from black shoes, get a pair of shoes in burgundy. Burgundy goes very well with navy and gray.

cordovan_2.jpg

]

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like dark brown or cordovan. On a few occasions I've seen medium brown that has looked good on others.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for burgundy; I also like a medium chestnut brown. I've been sitting on the fence about the darker browns. The lighter or brighter browns can lift or highlight the colour of a dark suit, especially if you have a matching belt or other accessories; I feel that a dark brown would be visually less interesting...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads